Din fittings are great!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Din- if you own your tanks and regs is the way to go. That's why all the tech guys use them. If you use tanks from a shop it may be hard to find one with a din valve.

OliveBone:
Din- if you own your tanks and regs is the way to go. That's why all the tech guys use them. If you use tanks from a shop it may be hard to find one with a din valve.
That is why you carry around a $40 din to yoke adapter with you that takes 20 seconds to install so you can dive your din regs on a yoke tank.

I was already talking to a newly certified buddy of mine the other day about din and yoke regs. I was talking to him about how yoke hangs out and can be more of an entanglement hazard. I was also explaining how more securely the din valves are. Sure enough the other day we are out diving and I'm running line drills with my reel. I saw him drop off a kick cycle or two and felt some tension in the reel. I turned around and he had become entangled on my line. No clue how, sometimes he makes quick movements to look at marinelife. Guess where he had become entangled? Sure enough the line was wrapped around the yoke knob on his frst stage. I untangled him no problem and we went on. When we came up the first thing he said was.. "Now I see what you are saying about those yoke knobs."

This is just my recent experience with a yoke being an entanglement hazzard. Of course I assume there is many who feel differently about yoke/din so YMMV. Personally I would never dive on a yoke again if I wasn't forced to (rental tanks in the carribean).

Matt

hoosier:
The popularity between the din and yoke setup reminds me of the war between VHS and Beta on the VCR market....

Except in that case, the superior technology lost out...

jonnythan:
Are you saying that yokes are superior to din?

Hardly - but sorry, I can see where you might have taken it that way.

The difference is that DIN isn't going away anytime soon - if ever.

Corigan:
No, He's Saying BetaMax was better than VHS. Which I happen to agree with him on.

Matt
He specified "in THAT case," which implies that THIS case is different, in that the superior technology has won.

doole:
Hardly - but sorry, I can see where you might have taken it that way.

The difference is that DIN isn't going away anytime soon - if ever.
Ah, so you were saying that DIN hasn't lost out. I get it.

:wink: You know, I hurt myself a bit last night, and you're not making my headache go away any faster!

It's amazing how few regulators are sold with DIN.

Zeagle sells a very low percentage of them, and my guess is that's also true with the rest of the reg makers. Scott might have the exact %.

As a long time dealer in St Petersburg area, we were one of the shops that sold a lot of them since PST broke the HP line of tanks into the US in 1988.

I call them one of the all time great improvements to scuba diving.

If DIN had caught on, it's no doubt the E-series tank valves would not have a spin in yoke adapter today.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom