DIN Female Plug(s) on a Whip? - Soaking Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotcha. I have floated parts of the river too. I was there as slave labor, and typically found on my day off either with my horse in the Wallowa Mountain's or catch and release fishing the rivers like the Wallowa, Minam, Imnaha, etc. I have never seen it as cold as -40 degrees except there either. I enjoyed my time there but much prefer NorCal.

There is something wrong with putting on the (screw-type) DIN caps, chucking them in the bucket and then shaking them out the next day before hanging to dry ?

As long as you're very careful, no problem. It's important to avoid water getting past the second stage seat and into the hose, where it can easily migrate to the first stage.

If you're going to rinse this way, you should
  • Take care not to let the purge button get bumped during the rinse.
  • Keep the second stages lower than the first stage while they're in the rinse.
  • After rinsing, hook the regulator up to a tank and purge your second stages before hanging it to dry.

Static soaking involves no movement of the internal components and is therefore insufficient for optimal cleaning.

Thankfully "optimal" seems not to be required in this case, and dunking overnight seems to work "good enough" for me.

Well, we have very carefully removed our regs, capped them, and soaked them. We have a big stock tank, so it is easy to do. When our last regs went in for service, the guy who worked on them took Peter into the service area and showed him issues with the regs that he felt were due to our soaking protocol. He strongly felt that they shouldn't be soaked unless they were pressurized, thus the thread.

Well, we have very carefully removed our regs, capped them, and soaked them. We have a big stock tank, so it is easy to do. When our last regs went in for service, the guy who worked on them took Peter into the service area and showed him issues with the regs that he felt were due to our soaking protocol. He strongly felt that they shouldn't be soaked unless they were pressurized, thus the thread.

Interesting. I would definitely like to know if the issue goes away once you start rinsing under pressure as I just chuck it all in a bucket.

I occasionally get "internal corrosion" reports when they come back from service but so far no one has suggested that might be due to rinsing

Interesting. I would definitely like to know if the issue goes away once you start rinsing under pressure as I just chuck it all in a bucket.

I occasionally get "internal corrosion" reports when they come back from service but so far no one has suggested that might be due to rinsing
It might be due to rinsing while unpressurized.

It might be due to rinsing while unpressurized.

Indeed :)

Like I say, if Lynne notices a difference I may decide to find a way to change my way.

But when I am rinsing 4 doubles regs, and 2-5 stage regs, finding a practical way to rinse under pressure (and now maybe while exercising mechanical parts -- holding the purge button ?) it seems like a royal PITA for something that so far my service technician just notes and fixes.

May the reg wear out more quickly ? Maybe, but the Hogs are almost cheap enough where I can just throw them out every 2 years :)

I like the idea of a whip and one could easily be made. However for me, I just connect the (DIN) regulators to my tanks and let the secondaries soak under pressure. (Regs in the tank, tanks outside.)
The first stage and hoses don't really need a long soak, they just get a rinse and light subbing with a soft, long bristle paint brush. It gives me a chance to rinse off the tanks as well.

My transfill whip is made largely of hydraulic fittings. It would be easy enough to introduce some T or cross fittings to get enough branches. Any decent hydraulics shop can put that stuff together for you.

Getting all of the DIN females may be the bigger challenge. If you can find some scrap valves with good ports a machinist could take the outlets and machine a feed port.

As for an unexplained free-flow draining a tank and setting you up for a surprise VIP use a J valve with the reserve holding.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom