DIN Female Plug(s) on a Whip? - Soaking Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for an easy way to soak my regs overnight while they are still under pressure. I was wondering if it is possible to get a whip with several Female DIN fittings so I could have a tank outside the soaking tub and several (2,4,6) regs attached and under pressure.

Anyone know of such a system?

OR, anyone have a better suggestion?

Funny, I was just thinking about this idea cause of a recent post. One thought would be to buy some used DIN values and mount them on a 2x4. Then use a compression fittings to chain link them together. At the end put a schrader valve fitting which you can hook up to a BCD hose.

The main problem is the cost of the DIN valves ...

BTW Have you seen these:

http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/Oxygen-Stuff/Filling-Adapters/Female-Din/prod_204.html

I assume that is what you are thinking of but their cost is similar to a DIN valve which has the benefit that it is a valve which can be turned on and off where as with the female DIN you would need to have a plug in them to air would not escape if not all were in use.

Getting a tub big enough to hold your tanks too sounds much cheaper (Throw them in the horse trough). What happens if a free flow empties the tank/bank? Then you might as well be using a plug.

We HAVE a horse trough -- it's a 100 gallon stock tank. But lifting 130s in and out of it is a PITA. We did have some extra 6 cf bottles around for a while, and used them, and that was cool, but the owner wanted them back. And I didn't want to spend $100 or more per bottle for things to soak regs with :)

Duh, I know you have a horse trough. We have an artesian well on our ranch so ours are constantly overflowing. Keeps them open in the winter freeze and they just flow into the Grand Round River. They would work perfect for cleaning dive gear since there is constant water movement except there is no where to dive. Wait maybe Wallowa Lake? Oh, no need to wash after fresh water.

The $39 connector is probably your best bet with a bunch of hoses. That is going to be an expensive bit of hardware. Plus you will occasionally need a fill on the tank, or at least whip it once in a while.

I just dunk mine for a few minutes and call it good. It does take a good quality cap though with the right cut outs for the first stage to seal.

Way off topic -- I dove in Wallowa Lake back in the early 80s and floated the Grande Ronde River. Good fun.

Where in the heck did you dive the Grand Round River? Heck by our ranch in Elgin it runs...ankle deep during the summer. Like us, many people have water rights and it is pulled down to almost nothing. There are pools of water and I have seen some GIANT fish, but wouldn't consider diving there.

Regs are mechanical devices that rely on the movement of internal components over a certain range for operation.

Static soaking involves no movement of the internal components and is therefore insufficient for optimal cleaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom