Digital upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottSpencer

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are taking our first trip to Bonaire this coming February and I currently own a Bonica Multi Snapper (which I'm trying to sell) & a Sony DSC-S50. My intention was to sell the Bonica and buy the ReefMaster DC200 to replace it for our trip. After reviewing the comments on this board about the Reef Master it seems clear I should not waste my money on it so the question is should I sell my Sony and then buy a Olympus or Cannon plus housing or can I find a housing (without spending 1000s) for the Sony and will the Sony work as well as the others? I also noticed that most of the discussion I heard about the Cannon and Olympus mentioned a 100' limit on their housings - this won't work as I like to wreck dive and frequently dive the 100 -130 range and intend to extend that after getting the prerequisite training next year. The 200' capacity of the ReefMaster was one of the attractions, for $500! I’m only looking for high quality snap-shots and some macro capability here – nothing professional.

Thanks for the advice :)

you can get case that go deeper, but they cost more...

you are upgrading because the camera doesn't do what you want, so what is the point of spending a little for another camera that doesn't do what you want?

buy cheap and you buy twice!!

in my industry (engineering) we have a saying....well a couple.....Keep It Simple (KISS) and right first time.

you get what you pay for, if you want cheap crap, then don't pay a lot, if you want something that will last and more than does the job, you have to cough up hte $'s

ScottSpencer once bubbled...
Hi all,

We are taking our first trip to Bonaire this coming February and I currently own a Bonica Multi Snapper (which I'm trying to sell) & a Sony DSC-S50. My intention was to sell the Bonica and buy the ReefMaster DC200 to replace it for our trip. After reviewing the comments on this board about the Reef Master it seems clear I should not waste my money on it so the question is should I sell my Sony and then buy a Olympus or Cannon plus housing or can I find a housing (without spending 1000s) for the Sony and will the Sony work as well as the others? I also noticed that most of the discussion I heard about the Cannon and Olympus mentioned a 100' limit on their housings - this won't work as I like to wreck dive and frequently dive the 100 -130 range and intend to extend that after getting the prerequisite training next year. The 200' capacity of the ReefMaster was one of the attractions, for $500! I’m only looking for high quality snap-shots and some macro capability here – nothing professional.

Thanks for the advice :)

I didn't find a housing for your Sony camera on DigiDeep, which is the best place I know to find available housings. I'm most familiar with the Olympus cameras and housings available for them. If you need a housing rated below 100ft, you're going to have to spend the money for it. For the Olympus cameras, that means Ikelite or Light and Motions Tetra. That said....I occasionally take my Olympus PT-10 housing to 120+ with no problem. The PT-10's have been tested to below 200ft and the 100ft limit could well be a CYA thing but that's a call only you can make.

You want high quality snap shots? That's two different things. The high quality and macro capabilities will depend on the camera you use. The snap shots will depend on how good a photographer you are! :wink:

After doing a little research and lurking around here I bought a Canon A40 and have ordered the Canon housing for it. After checking out DigiDeep (thanks for that too) I feel confident about taking it beyond 100' and since I bought it at best buy with the Extended Warranty it is covered if it gets wet - no questions asked. It looks like a much better camera then the ReefMaster I was looking at and I can now sell my Sony which will help defray the cost.

Glad the links helped. Be sure and post some of your pics when you get them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom