Digi Cam memory (C-5050)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 256MB or 512MB CF card for my setup. I currently have a 128MB xD and 256MB xD card.

Is there a big difference in performance between CF ultra II and CF extreme?

Do you think getting a 512MB CF card is over kill?

I'm no expert on speeds of cards. But I don't think that 512 CF is overkill. I keep a 1 Gig CF and a 256 xD card in my camera at all times.

I don't pay that much attention to write speeds. With CF cards from 4 different brands, I haven't seen an obvious difference.

As for size, if you're recording in RAW you may need the 1gig cards but for jpg the 256mg and 512mg cards would be my limit. On a dive trip I change the batteries every other dive and I switch the CF card at the same time, then download the card into my laptop in the evenings. If you use the large 1gig card as storage, if something goes wrong you'll lose everything on it. Yes, there are recovery programs but why take the chance?

I currently use 256mgCF and a 128mg XD for backup.

I have a 1 gb CF card and a 128 mb Smart Media card in the camera. If you shoot JPEG only then the speed of CF card is not going to be all that different and 256mb or 512 mb card would be plenty.
If you shoot in RAW then a 1 gb card would be nice as it will hold about 130 pictures.
Writing speed becomes a bit more significant with RAW file as it will take anywhere from 4-8 seconds to write a RAW file depending on the CF card. Speedwise, most people like the Ridata or Transcend 45X. The Sandisk Ultra is probably OK but it is quite a bit more expensive than the two mentioned above and is certainly not better. Don't have any experience or info about the Extreme however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom