Question Halcyon Eclipse or Traveler Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwaty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I need a single tank wing to dive in moderately warm (18-25°C) salt water, mostly in drysuit, and also probably, while travelling, in tropical (25-30°C) waters (where I may not bring the drysuit... not sure yet). I already have a Halcyon Evolve wing, so I'll only use this one where I can't rent / bring doubles.

On this purpose, I'm not clear on which one would be the best between Halcyon Eclipse and Halcyon Traveler Pro.
What I understand from Halcyon website is that the only difference between them is that the Traveler Pro has four cam slots, making it compatible with the carbon fiber built-in STA. So considering that the price is the same for both wings, I can't see any reason not to choose the Traveler Pro, which seems to be the same but more flexible if at any moment in the future I want to buy a CF backplate and stop using an STA.

Regarding BP and STA, I currently own a SS Halcyon Backplate, so I'll start with this one and add an STA for the moment. I don't know the amount of weight I'll need so I'll experiment a little bit before adding an integrated weight to the STA or switch to a lighter BP.

Finally, I'm considering a 20lbs size. Would it be sufficient (I have a GUE-style gear)?
On doubles, I have a 40lbs wing and it seems to be definitely enough.

Any help?

Thanks

What is the advantage of STA?
Would you not consider other wing/brand which does not require one?
20lbs is good enough for tropical warm water.
Wing with slots for cam bands is far more flexible than those require STA. Less dead weight to carry/pack.

Back
Top Bottom