Different Apeks 1st stage service kits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaphod:
This change was made somewhere around a year ago and the Porvair filter is no longer shipped - the kit is German is just old...

Apeks o-rings have been EPDM for quite a long time....

I doubt that as the new Apeks "deco" regs in yoke come with the plastic installed. And just as a mention, there is always the option of installing the DIN conical filter in the yoke version as it also fits... even sillier is the fact that filters and why or why not they are used is being debated. What was the original question again????

rescuediver009... even sillier is the fact that filters and why or why not they are used is being debated. What was the original question again????[/QUOTE:
Why are there two different filters and what to use(?)

Wreck:
Why are there two different filters and what to use(?)
Snoozing through the repair class again, eh? :crafty:
The 1st & 2nd stage kits are "universal", specifically the 1st stage kit mentioned fits all diaphragm 1st stages. Without looking, I'd suspect that it may be a DIN vs Yoke thing, as already mentioned.

rescuediver009:
I doubt that as the new Apeks "deco" regs in yoke come with the plastic installed. And just as a mention, there is always the option of installing the DIN conical filter in the yoke version as it also fits... even sillier is the fact that filters and why or why not they are used is being debated. What was the original question again????

Huh? The Porvair filter is not shipped in current Apeks kits or on new regs. That's an absolute fact. Read your service bulletins or get to an updated seminar.

Zaphod:
Huh? The Porvair filter is not shipped in current Apeks kits or on new regs. That's an absolute fact. Read your service bulletins or get to an updated seminar.
Whoa.... easy relax take a breather.... I know first aid. An Absolute fact eh? Do you see every reg that comes out of the distributor or are you just psychic? Didn't think so. Are you talking 200's or all of them. Don't know if this is the case in US only but it isn't in Canada. Thanks fortrying though.

As for the original question before we drift off again...
There are 3 types of possible filters out there regarldess of which is current and where.
The plastic filter: plastic with hoels drilled in it is suitable for yoke regulators that may require oxygen or EAN use. IT is intended to be used in conjunction with the Conical DIN filter.
The porvair filter which is in use on most common yoke applications is used when nitrox is not in use.
The DIN conical filter is intended for use in the DIN or yoke applications.

Go to the bottom of this page to realize Iam right

Absolute fact, yes especially 2 years after the change was made. I don't need to be a psychic, I just need to go to the repair seminars. In fact, the link you provided is quite helpful in illustrating my point. Page 6 of that document (it's been updated and is a different page in the new version).

"Up until September 2002, Apeks used a white disc filter, known as the Porvair filter (p/n AP1406), in its first stages that utilized a yoke connector. While Porvair was an excellent filter for air, it was determined that it was not the best material for use with enriched air nitrox (EAN). Since Apeks preferred all of its models to be EAN40 compatible new, out of the box, the Porvair filter was discontinued. Apeks' standard conical filter, p/n AP1472, (as used with the DIN connection) was substituted.

[snip]

Do not mistake the filter guard as a filter.
Do not mistake the filter guard as a filter."

The rebuild kits were changed at exactly the same time and the LDSs were instructed to discard the Porvair filter in their current stock of kits and use the conical filter (without any type of filter guard). The customer could come back later when a shipment of filter guards came in (about a month later).

So, if your LDS is getting gear from Aqualung/Apeks directly (instead of LeisurePro), then these are changes you should have seen some time ago.

THANKS FOR TRYING...

rescuediver009:
Whoa.... easy relax take a breather.... I know first aid. An Absolute fact eh? Do you see every reg that comes out of the distributor or are you just psychic? Didn't think so. Are you talking 200's or all of them. Don't know if this is the case in US only but it isn't in Canada. Thanks fortrying though.

As for the original question before we drift off again...
There are 3 types of possible filters out there regarldess of which is current and where.
The plastic filter: plastic with hoels drilled in it is suitable for yoke regulators that may require oxygen or EAN use. IT is intended to be used in conjunction with the Conical DIN filter.
The porvair filter which is in use on most common yoke applications is used when nitrox is not in use.
The DIN conical filter is intended for use in the DIN or yoke applications.

Go to the bottom of this page to realize Iam right

Zaphod:
Absolute fact, yes especially 2 years after the change was made. I don't need to be a psychic, I just need to go to the repair seminars. In fact, the link you provided is quite helpful in illustrating my point. Page 6 of that document (it's been updated and is a different page in the new version).

"Up until September 2002, Apeks used a white disc filter, known as the Porvair filter (p/n AP1406), in its first stages that utilized a yoke connector. While Porvair was an excellent filter for air, it was determined that it was not the best material for use with enriched air nitrox (EAN). Since Apeks preferred all of its models to be EAN40 compatible new, out of the box, the Porvair filter was discontinued. Apeks' standard conical filter, p/n AP1472, (as used with the DIN connection) was substituted.

[snip]

Do not mistake the filter guard as a filter."

The rebuild kits were changed at exactly the same time and the LDSs were instructed to discard the Porvair filter in their current stock of kits and use the conical filter (without any type of filter guard). The customer could come back later when a shipment of filter guards came in (about a month later).

So, if your LDS is getting gear from Aqualung/Apeks directly (instead of LeisurePro), then these are changes you should have seen some time ago.

THANKS FOR TRYING...

Don't worry I wasn't trying too hard, I was just trying to help someone out. But I would have to say that you seem to know it all... Between trying to tell me how to service things to what is included in the packages I receive... you must be psychic so congrats. I know that all the apeks regs that we receive still use the provair filter and that they do not use the same conical filter as the DIN units. But by all means do continue to spend all your time figuring out what kind of filter is exported to the thousands of regs in the world. Save all of us with a life the trouble. Don't worry I won't try too hard.... :)

Back
Top Bottom