Different Apeks 1st stage service kits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkromelow

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have 2 different apeks tx 1st stage kits that are slightly different. One of them AP0241/AA (A81968) is in a blue packaging and the other AP0241/JWL (A80341) is in yellow packaging and has german writing on it. Other than the packaging ath AP1406 filter appears t be different. In the AP0241/AA kit the filter looks like white plastic with a perforated A pattern in the filter. In the AP0241/JWL kit the filter appears as a solid white disk (it does have very very tiny holes) but there is no perforated pattern. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Apeks first stage kits are the exact same int heir parts content. In the one with the solid white disk there might be a secon brass coloured filter. This is for the DIN fitting regs and can also be used on the yoke style.

To answer your question the one with the white perforated plastic disc is the O2 kit. As the white filter in the other regs is not O2 clean the white plastic disc is used for regs that require >40% pxygen content. The o-rings are viton. You can still use it on regular regs though if you wish.

rescuediver009:
The o-rings are viton.

I have read in many places that all Apeks o-rings are EPDM. The new rebuild kits I have in front of me do not appear to have Viton rings. But then, viton can be made to look just like the other materials.

Wreck:
I have read in many places that all Apeks o-rings are EPDM. The new rebuild kits I have in front of me do not appear to have Viton rings. But then, viton can be made to look just like the other materials.

I don't think that they would be EPDM. I could be wrong though. If you have a kit with the aforementioned filter, and the kitis still closed, it is O2 clean.

rescuediver009:
I don't think that they would be EPDM. I could be wrong though. If you have a kit with the aforementioned filter, and the kitis still closed, it is O2 clean.

I have brand new kits for first (AP0241) and second (AP0219) stages here.. both are labeled on the ID sticker (NOT O2 CLEAN) and there's an asterix next to the part number of that cheap-looking white filter pad - see the second paragraph about it.

Following is the text on the kit's backing:

These kits are produced using nitrox compatible materials and may be used when servicing or converting regulators for nitrox use. The only exception is the AP0240, piston 1'st stage service kit, which is not nitrox compatible, as this 1st stage is not suitable for nitrox conversion.

*This filter (AP1406, flat white inlet filter) us not oxygen compatible, if the regulator is being converted for oxygen service, the conical filter AP1472 should be used instead.

The dealer that sold these to me said the gold-colored, sintered, conical filter was not O2 clean and gave me some more of those that were. I can't tell the difference between the two. I think a good scouring in the ultrasonic cleaner would fix that.

Have a read in the following thread.. this is the one that openede my eyes and I've seen several other threads with the same information:

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4548

jkromelow:
In the AP0241/AA kit the filter looks like white plastic with a perforated A pattern in the filter. In the AP0241/JWL kit the filter appears as a solid white disk (it does have very very tiny holes) but there is no perforated pattern. Can anyone shed some light on this?

My DST (yoke style) came with a solid white filter in it, not these flimsy pieces of dense poly foam. I suspect the solid disk filter is O2 compatible.

There is no difference between the conical filters, and as for the kits, the paper backing is generic, so look so look at the filter. If it has holes drilled in it, it is O2 compatable, if not it isn't. Straight forward.

I don't see the purpose of that thread except to agree with lubold that why would you go through the hassle of getting o-rings that aren't fromt he kit for your reg. Too much time on one's hands if you ask me. Not to mention that they are just winging it on the service not being trained properly.

rescuediver009:
I don't see the purpose of that thread except to agree with lubold that why would you go through the hassle of getting o-rings that aren't fromt he kit for your reg.

Posts 13 and 16.. the topic being Apeks using EPDM o-rings. Sorry for not clarifying.

The solid white filter disk, called Porvair, is not compatible with O2 percentages above 23%. This is not so much because of the material itself, but it is so effective at removing particulate matter, that within a few dives, the filter becomes a source of fuel. The piece of plastic with the Apeks "A" in it is just there for cosmetic improvement - it's not necessary and it interferes with the examination of the filter doing the real work. Either way, the copper conical filter is "Nitrox compatible." This change was made somewhere around a year ago and the Porvair filter is no longer shipped - the kit is German is just old...

Apeks o-rings have been EPDM for quite a long time....

Zaphod:
This is not so much because of the material itself, but it is so effective at removing particulate matter, that within a few dives, the filter becomes a source of fuel.

That explains why a conical filter is used - more surface area to use up before flow is restricted, and maybe a good inert material(?)

Back
Top Bottom