Differences between 'Surf' and 'Dive' wetsuits ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Say i needed a 3mm wetsuits (full) and (shortys).

Does it make a difference between the wetsuits made for surfing, wake boarding, canoe .....etc.

In other words do we need to buy a wetsuits specifically made for DIVING ?? or just go with the thickness that we need ??

The grade of neoprene is important. Typically surfing suits aren't made from high compression-resistant neoprene, while premium wetsuits are. For obvious reasons, a quality diving suit must be able to withstand compression over and over without losing its "fluff."
Blind stitching. Seams should be glued and blind stitched - the threads don't penetrate all the way through the suit. I like taping as well. Neither of these is the norm in surfing/kneeboarding suits.
Good ankle & wrist seals.
Those leap to mind - I'm sure there are others.
Rick

actually there is no diference in the neopreem used in either Oneill or Rip Curl wetsuits between surf and dive models, assuming they are booth high end models. they also have the same seam technolgy, taping, etc. and virtually every surf suit uses selaed wrists, neck etc as well.

The Oneill rep i talked to a the scuba expo in denver last month said that surf suits actually use much more progressive technolgy, but they also cost a lot more.

the real difference is surf wetsuits are deisgned to be flexable, since surfing requires paddling, and free movement. Dive suits are not designed to allow free movment through the shoulders and arms.

I actually prefer surf suits, and thats all i buy now. though I use my suits for booth surfing and diving.

I agree with MartiniDiver. I did a bit of research about this a few months ago.

As long as the quality of the neoprene is the same, surf suits are often more flexible which is usually to do with the cut, but may also be the covering fabric.

The only advantage I can see with "dive" suits are added zippers in the legs making getting into and out of them easier.

BTW, I chose a surf suit - I got a great deal at the end of winter when the surfies move from steamers to shorties here.

Grant

Back
Top Bottom