Differences between PADI and SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padi is everywhere if international something you are considering. I believe Padi does spot inspection of instructor centers. I think padi is the size of ssi, naui, and couple of theres put together. I know there is a padi instructor training center in Thailand if you are intrested, nice warm water dives.

If you are planning to travel around and work I'd go with PADI. Far more opportunities as a PADI DM/Instructor in various places around the world.

As others have pointed out the major difference is that SSI instructors have to teach through an SSI shop. SSI markets this point to dive shops, who find it attractive because they've kinda got the instructors hooked. It effectively eliminates or severely limits your ability to walk away from a shop and still teach diving without moving.

Someone mentioned that you could teach for a Tacoma shop in Miami or something like that, which seems like a pretty clever solution to that problem... I've never tried to do anything like that though, so I can't comment regarding how trickey it would be to do.

Whatever agency you decide to teach for, remember to take pride in your students and do a good job.

Any suggestions?

I think they got it covered above, but for one thing.

Might want to change your Ray Riding avatar right off. It's bad form and besides, another Aussie root rat got his when he switched from Alligators to have a naughty.

Since I don't have any experience with SSI course I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the pros and cons for both PADI and SSI. Is one better than the other, or is it mostly personal preference?

I'm currently living in Australia but would like to take my diving overseas and work as a DM/ instructor in different countries while I travel. Any suggestions?

Aside from the agency differences, you might want to see if it's actually possible to do what you're taking about. A lot of countries won't let you just stop by and work when you want to.

I know for certain, that it's a major undertaking to work in the US, Canada and Bonaire if you're not a citizen.

Terry

Might want to change your Ray Riding avatar.

I have changed my avatar out of respect for Steve Irwin. :salute: (I couldn't find an Australian flag.)

I agree with everyone, it depends on who you are more comfortable with. When I went through my original scuba diver course I had four instructors who tought my classes. I found one who I respected, and offered his insights, and experiences in diving, and that is who I completed my additional training with. I like to believe I formed my teaching approach using what I learned from him, and then developed my own personal style of teaching. Its not the Agency its the INSTRUCTOR.

You don't agree with me since I said the only reason to go with SSI is because you have a job. I had a job so I went with SSI but otherwise it's a huge huge mistake to go with SSI.

I see our local SSI LDS as a big disadvantage. They only can rent one brand of gear, service one brand of gear, and student's are taught only with one brand of rental. But this mentality - streamlined inventory and focused gear marketing likely made them a big success. They don't have to stock parts for 90 different brands of regulators, or send any out for service.

The poor little guy that carries 20 types of regs propably has to own more than half of his inventories, and carry a big loss when he can't buy in quantities.

Of course, this has nothing to do with SSI, sorry for the thread hijack.

I know this can quickly become a "mines better than yours" argument but I visited a new LDS today and the owner and I got to talking. I told him I was due to start my PADI DM course next week, he asked "why PADI", and eventually the conversation lead to him pretty much bad mouthing PADI and saying that SSI was much better.

As many say, an important factor is the instructor/operator, not just the agency. In this case, I would be wary of signing up with anyone whose sales pitch focuses on bad mouthing the competition.

Since I don't have any experience with SSI course I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the pros and cons for both PADI and SSI. Is one better than the other, or is it mostly personal preference?

I'm currently living in Australia but would like to take my diving overseas and work as a DM/ instructor in different countries while I travel. Any suggestions?

Two suggestions
1. PADI is certainly much more represented in most parts of the world.
2. You might want to set your sights on the Instructor program, as many (if not most) dive operators hire instructors for divemaster roles as they are more versatile. Generally (and there are always exceptions) the only DMs that get hired as DMs are those that did the course with the actual operator

Cheers

Des

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom