Differences between PADI and SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all your replies. I have decided to base my decision on the instructor. I think I'll take my time getting experience up first and when the right instructor comes along I'll sign up there and then. For travel purposes it seems like PADI might make things easier based on everyone else's experiences.

I really enjoyed this thread. This summer, I plan to do the DiveCon course at my LDS in Florida. Right now, I have no plans to go "Pro", but when I retire, after finishing putting 5 daughters through school, it might be different.

The experience is the reason I'm doing this. My instructor is an ex-Navy SEAL. Who says a 56 year-old man can't endure a "hell week"?

SSI shops tend to be converted from PADI. In the perfect world you would find an SSI Instuctor that has maintained his PADI status and can help you get both at the same time.

LOLuck don O

I don't know about SSI but once you go pro through PADI, you have the benefit of the PADI employment boards. They have dozens of listings a day for everything from DM to CD. It's how I found my dream job in the Bahamas so I highly recommend it. If you have the time, money and inclination, there are internship schools in Thailand (Mermaids and Aquanuts) and there is an internship in Cancun (Dive College Mexico). It's a fun experience to live and work with other interns while gaining valuable experience. Good luck!

I agree with most comments already made. Pick the instructor that inspires you to be a better diver, through a shop you can work with. Ultimately you also need to ask if you want to become an independent DM, store affiliated DM, or store required DM. I did both. PADI costs more, but is more marketable in the U.S. and globally.

As others have pointed out the major difference is that SSI instructors have to teach through an SSI shop. SSI markets this point to dive shops, who find it attractive because they've kinda got the instructors hooked. It effectively eliminates or severely limits your ability to walk away from a shop and still teach diving without moving.

I think a shop I worked for switched over to SSI for just that reason. I was doing alot of private classes for students I got from my website and it pissed him off

I teach for PADI and SSI (and BSAC).

The differences for you as a customer are:

1. SSI don't make you buy a manual...you can loan one from the shop (if they are willing) and that can cut costs.

2. SSI teach primary donation (as well as octopus donation) for OOA and they teach Buoyant Emergency Ascent in confined water (as well as CESA).

3. SSI certification applications cost less than PADI Pic cards...saving you money.

4. SSI courses allow more than one focus per dive. i.e. You can be credited for doing Fish-ID whilst on a Deep Dive....or Buoyancy skills whilst on a Dive Computer dive. PADI do not allow this.

5. PADI have a checkable internet database of its divers...great if you lose or forget your c-card.

6. PADI dominates the global diving market (although in Oz it is 50/50 for PADI and SSI - in Thailand it is 75/25, PADI to SSI......much less than that for SSI in other regions), so the certifications are more easily recognised (never seen a problem with recognition of SSI certs anywhere though) and verified by the internet database mentioned before.

7. Both PADI and SSI are RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council) members and, so, their courses are virtually identical.

The differences for you as a Potential Professional Diver are:

1. The SSI Divecon course equates directly to the PADI Assistant Instructor course - there is no 'DM' course with SSI. So, you get two courses for one.

2. PADI is the market leader, so employment potential is better as a PADI Divemaster. Many SSI schools are also PADI schools...so you can get work as an SSI Divecon, but you could also have got that work as a PADI DM. Basically, PADI DM is a lot more employable.

3. If you want to become an instructor later on, you will want to choose PADI...it is the biggest employer and the only agency which doesn't allow direct cross-overs at instructor level (SSI will allow PADI cross-overs for a cheap/quick course). Doing a PADI DM course gives you many advantages if you later choose to do a PADI IDC.

4. SSI are more flexible about how their instructors teach courses. Most SSI instructors prefer that flexibility over the rigid PADI system.

5. PADI has a global employment board (for what its worth), wheras SSI have regional boards (that tend to be a little more effective for job seekers IMHO).

6. SSI Dive Shops have control over their instructors (they even write annual reports on them for QA purposes)..and SSI instructors have to work for an SSI 'dealer' (dive centre). With PADI you are an independant instructor, meaning that you can teach where you want - you can teach who you want (courses for family and friends etc).

For me...I like being an SSI instructor...but only because I am already a PADI instructor - so I have the option when looking for work. I'd always have chosen the PADI IDC to become an instructor and the DM course was an excellent preparation for that.

DevonDiver:
7. Both PADI and SSI are RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council) members and, so, their courses are virtually identical.

They may be virtually idential, I've never read SSI standards, but if they are the reason is not because they are both members of RSTC. YMCA is also a member of RSTC, yet it's standards are far higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom