Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I held Zeagle on a pedestal for a while because of the availability and the ability to get it for a decent pricing. I have looked at DSS and Diverite as well. I have not priced a HOG rig yet because of the mixed/confusing information I get about their quality.

There's no confusion in my mind. This is what I dive:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I got the Hog stainless steel pate and after 1 year and 80 dives I don't have any complaints.

Damn you!!!!!!!!!! Must..........resist.......Mcdonalds...... French fries.....have lots of scuba to buy..................................

Just one...just one French Fry...it won't hurt much :)

French Fries .1.jpg

I've played with that as well.

SO.....I will look at a HOG rig and see where I get and probably come back with a few more questions, now that I understand the giant pricing difference.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

Just one...just one French Fry...it won't hurt much :)

View attachment 151673
There is no such thing as just one fry.... except MAYBE the last one....

I have a Hog stainless plate, and also a Hollis stainless plate. The Hog was cheaper than the Hollis. The main difference was the Hollis is polished to a mirror shine while the Hog looks like it is a bead blasted finish. Also the Hog has a much steeper bend in the plate compared to the Hollis.

Does the polishing make up for the price difference? IMHO, no. But the bend difference was. I am not some skinny guy, so the Hollis is more comfortable for me to wear.

There's no confusion in my mind. This is what I dive:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I got the Hog stainless steel pate and after 1 year and 80 dives I don't have any complaints.

I have a Dive Rite TransPlate with Al backplate...and I love it. But I also want a SS backplate set-up in a more basic harness and when Chrpai first posted this link, I liked it. I think it will be my next BP/W purchase...if I don't blow all of my money on McDonalds' French Fries first.

Does the polishing make up for the price difference? IMHO, no. But the bend difference was. I am not some skinny guy, so the Hollis is more comfortable for me to wear.

I'm 255lbs and have never dove the Hollis. Perhaps I'd like it more. I don't know.

Those darned McDonald's french fries......

Do the manufacturers post specification on the bends? I am a sort of wide set person with very broad shoulders. Is the bend able to be manipulated so that it is a little more comfortable?

A funny "historical" perspective. A LDS here was a "SP" dealer, and for quite a long time. Touted it as the best. A few years back, it became an "H" shop.... as there was nothing better. While there once, I asked him about an new brand catching fire - HOG. Immediate answer - "poorly made, low tolerance junk" (sorry Chris, his words, not mine)..... Last year they became a distrubutor...... LMAO!

Just by watching and learning a little bit, I've found that HOG has a good customer base. I also can see HOG catching fire and becoming a large distributor.

Sounds like customer service might have gotten better. But the time I contacted them about the HOG drysuit (actuall made by someone else) that I bought it was not very good. I made the mistake of calling the number on their web site on a sunday night expecting to leave a message that would be returned during the week. Turns out that number is actually someones cell phone and basically got bitched out that I would call at that time of the day while they were busy. That and I was basically told if I did not like the suit just send it back for a refund. Keep in mind I was just calling with questions about the care of the suit since it did not come with anything. Beside if you put your cell number as a contact on a web page you should pretty much expect a call at anytime day or night, or just let it go to voice mail.

Back
Top Bottom