Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a "DR" style SS backplate ( no harness ) for $75 from Dive Gear Express with free shipping.

Backplates - Dive Gear Express

But if it was me, I'd save up for their "DGX Custom - Singles Harness/Backplate/Wing Package". $319 with SS backplate and free shipping.

Special Purchase, Clearance, Closeout, and Discontinued Merchandise - Dive Gear Express

The price difference is $244 and you'd be hard pressed to find a wing, harness, STA/straps for that amount.

If you can afford a little more, take a look at DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL This is what I dive and it has the Hog plate.

damn...... I'll be selling things to get to buy a package....

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 08:09 AM ----------

Anyone wanna buy some car audio gear? Just kidding.... but seriously... :drunks:

I've got about 75 right now, so that would have to cover shipping as well.

Nothing right now, I will purchase what I can, and when I can. I decided a plate and harness is first.

Unless you're going to turn into some rogue minimalist/vintage fruit you won't be doing much diving without a wing, so what's the big hurry

There really isn't.... I was trying to have something before open waters next weekend, but knowing the shear cost, I won't be able to on my college kid income.... I'll have to wait a month or so.

I didn't say that at all actually. When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands. What I do not understand is the lack of information, even companies that strive on the internet have information of what people are saying about them. HOG is like non existent.

Thre may not be many if any reviews on hog gear in the diving magazines etc but there are many many positive reviews on hog gear here on SB. Of course there are a few haters but generally those posts are based on other agendas and not actually the quality of hog gear, they are pretty easy to spot. I for one have more faith in reviews written by fellow SB members than those written in dive magazines where buying advertising may or may not affect review, cynical I know.

As far as differences in plates goes its all been said, finish, holes, bend and type/grade of steel are the differences unless you have specific needs i.e are very tall and require a long plate, I doubt the average diver would notice any difference diving any brand plate in a blind test. I've owned/do own plates made by DiveRite, Hollis, Scubapro and AGIR, there were differences in the quality of finish but to dive all felt the same to me. As far as grade of SS used goes unless you're leaving soaking in salt and even then its all but irrelevant, they will all outlast you.

Price difference I think has more to do with branding, just like fashion, you'll pay more for scubapro regardless of where its made than you will for DiveRite. The pricing of dive gear is not necessarily indicative of quality, Hog case and point.

I own some Hog gear and have not had any issues, the way Mr. Hog conducts his business, in a human and transparent way, admitting mistakes etc how he often goes way above and beyond in addressing and solving issues people may have with his products is pretty impressive.

As a comparison I recently bought an Atomic reg, made in the US, not cheap, faulty straight from the box and Atomic have not answered any of my emails. Should have bought Hog lol...

PS I am the author of "Hogs Law":wink:

The unsettling thought of looking at gear that doesn't have reviews available to those of use that are new, makes it hard for use to find good information. I have since learned the key words I need to search for on SB, as well as other forums if I stumble across. I personally don't feel overwhelmed when thinking of buying a brand similar to HOG. The issues I was see also existed slightly in DiveRite as well. This may be because I only have AL and SP at either LDS.

I feel confident in purchasing HOG. I have other issues with general purchasing or gear, but that's research and saving money things, NOT branding.

Here's my fullest and final advice:

Get through your OW class fully drinking the Kool-Aid of the LDS / Instructor. Rent all your gear, learn all you can and don't even mention BP/W. Don't spend a dime except on things they make you buy like fins and mask. For Mask, I suggest the Hog "Tech" Mask. For fins, I suggest the Hog Tech fins or Hollis F1.

Once you are certified, find a local buddy / mentor who understands BP/W / Hog and so on. Get him to fully explain all your options while you save up your pennies. Buy your gear and make good choices so you only have to buy it once.

You can get a "DR" style SS backplate ( no harness ) for $75 from Dive Gear Express with free shipping.

Backplates - Dive Gear Express

But if it was me, I'd save up for their "DGX Custom - Singles Harness/Backplate/Wing Package". $319 with SS backplate and free shipping.

Special Purchase, Clearance, Closeout, and Discontinued Merchandise - Dive Gear Express

The price difference is $244 and you'd be hard pressed to find a wing, harness, STA/straps for that amount.

If you can afford a little more, take a look at DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL This is what I dive and it has the Hog plate.

This is why I asked him what he could afford because you can get a new "shop brand" SS plate for $75-$100. The Dive Rite package may not be for him because it has the travel wing which is only 25lb lift. He needs to go through the wing lift calculator, to see what he needs. Also I believe the Dive Rite wing requires an STA, which is another $40 or so.

My recommendation would be for a Hollis S38 wing from Cave Adventurers for $200. Add to that a generic backplate for $70, a plain harness for $27, and a set of cam straps for $40. So you are at $340 and Edd may be able to knock a few dollars off. They ship free on orders over $50 also.

The reason I recommend this is 1) Price, 2) Quality, and 3) versatility. At 38lbs lift you will have enough lift for coldwater diving in a thick wetsuit with a steel tank. The wing has a built in removable STA. So if you want to use a weighted STA to move more weight off your belt you can. The downside is the wing is a bit large for tropical diving but you will not notice it. When you dive in the topics you will be in a thinner suit and wear less weight. You will feel much more steamlined than when you dive cold water.

If you want to add a smaller wing for travel then wait until Black Friday. In the past you could pick up a HOG 23 for under $200 or an Oxycheq 18 for around $230 or so.

My OW class will be finished next weekend. I've recently read some different things, and have decided that it's better to deal with the crappy jacket BC for the time being. One of my instructors actually dives a BP/W when not teaching the class. He says his back inflate shows us better because it's closer to the jackets that we borrow. We have already talked about what I need, and where I need to start so he can start the Advance OW class with myself and the lady friend (who made me addicted to diving, and probably regretting every bit of it). I have to diver with him and the rest of the club during the weekends this summer when they head out to the lake.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 04:06 PM ----------

Here's my fullest and final advice:

Get through your OW class fully drinking the Kool-Aid of the LDS / Instructor. Rent all your gear, learn all you can and don't even mention BP/W. Don't spend a dime except on things they make you buy like fins and mask. For Mask, I suggest the Hog "Tech" Mask. For fins, I suggest the Hog Tech fins or Hollis F1.

Once you are certified, find a local buddy / mentor who understands BP/W / Hog and so on. Get him to fully explain all your options while you save up your pennies. Buy your gear and make good choices so you only have to buy it once.
Thank you for your sincere advice, I will use it for the most part. The only problem with renting gear is I have to go way out of my way to do so, I would rather buy it as soon as I can. But seriously, Thank you!

Just to be clear, I'm not saying an instructor can't be your mentor. Just be really sure that he's listening to the direction you want to consider and not the direction that shop wants you to go in.

If you only lived in Austin, TX I'd have you in a full set of gear and working with an instructor who is BP/W and Tech minded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom