Difference between YS-D2 and YS-D2J

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asterosdeals

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone please explain the difference between a YS-D2 and YS-D2J? I understand that ‘J’ means made in Japan and seems to be more reliable (D2 overheats more easily), but are there any performance differences? If I’m just using the D2 to flash well slower than the recycle time, isn’t the risk of overheat lower, or is it then still hit or miss?

Are you interested simply from a technical standpoint or because you are considering buying them?

I use the YS-D2Js and they have been ‘decent’ although I have had some issue with them, namely non compatibility with TTL on some cameras, unreliable cycle time and one malfunction issue which led to replacement, but also meant i had to shoot a whole trip on one strobe and lights. Overall they have been decent, but there are better options on the market now if you are buying new. That’s my 2 cents.

P.S the YS-D2s didn’t have the issue with the TTL, just the Js. Which would suggest there is a difference, but ie never been able to work out what it is and Sea & Sea have never responded to any of my requests for help. I even had pavel ( he’s the dude who makes the optics boards for backscatter etc) make me a Special board with 200% power to check if it was an LED optics issue, it wasn’t.

Also, if you haven’t yet. Always worth asking Adam Hanlon and the guys on wetpixel. They will have an answer and pavel, Alex mustard etc are usually on that board to answer, although Alex and Adam use Inon strobes and Alex uses Retra now, which are my advice for purchase if you are looking for new strobes.

If you already have this strobe then use it normally. It's not very common to shoot rapidly underwater so don't worry about that much.

If you don't already have a YS-D2 and are concerned about reliability then don't buy one. They don't have a great track record and there are other options available. A YS-D3 was just released so hopefully they improved it, and the Inon 330 is excellent as are the Retra's.

Hi! Previous posts have provided lots of info. I’m here to add that I’ve read folks have issues with some of them but I have been lucky. We have 4 of them in our household. 2 of them have been on about 300 dives with no issues at all. The other probably 150-200, also no issues. Maybe we are just lucky. We are also very meticulous with preparation, storage, and usage, but I think that is many people who still had issues. I just wanted to share my experience. :)

Can I use a YS-D2J with an original DS-1?

they are independently triggered, so there is no reason why you can't use any two separate models of any strobe as long as you have the correct cables.

You can, but I wouldn't as there's an additional layer of complexity in balancing the light on left and right sides of the photo as the output and beam angle and possibly even colour temperature of the light are likely to be different .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom