Difference between PADI AOW and deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had confusion between AOW specialties and specialties when I did my AOW: for the AOW you select specialties but you get only 1 (I think) adventure dive towards each specialty.

In theory, you’ll have 1 less dive to do when you do the specialty although some shops will not want you to transfer the adventure dive.
--I have experienced a shop not wanting to transfer the Adventure dive--twice.
--You select your 3 non-required Adventure dives for AOW--IF the dives you want are offered by the shop. Or else you take the ones they offer.

The deep diver specialty is still very much a recreational course that rounds out the complete open water diver certification which used to be done in one course back in the day. Other than what's already been mentioned, your instructor should focus on skills like proficient DSMB deployment and IIRC, you will do a simulated 15 minute decompression stop. Given the deeper depth, there's a higher chance a distracted or narked diver will incur deco time if they are not mindful of their dive since at those depths you are now likely limited by NDL time rather than available gas.

Completing the deep diver specialty will also open the door for crossing over to technical diving and rec. trimix, which will include decompression training, diving doubles, etc., should you want to increase your depth range and/or bottom time.

But I'd like to suggest a bit of consideration. Is 40m/130' a good idea if you have less than 50 dives under your weight belt? Why do you want to go that deep?
In the mediterranean since there is no coral reef the wrecks are mostly quite deep and some species live mostly at -40 or more, for example lobsters or what we call St Peter's Fish or "John Dory" in English
John Dory - Wikipedia
But my main and right now only reason to get the Deep Dive is to go to the Haven wreck in Arenzano (Genova). The top of the sunken ship is visible from about 35 or 40 meters, theoreticallly with an AOW it would be already possible to do the dive in terms of skills but of course the diving centers do not allow people to go there unless they have already the Deep Dive
I am aware that -40 meters is already different from -30 and it implies more risks, I would go -40 only together with the instructors and under their supervision

ITheres no Policeman stopping you going to 40m but equally unless theres something specific you want to see down there the attraction isn't there.
This would be the idea...

@TMHeimer
Right now I only heard some kind of briefing of the course by the instructors and the activities are similar to the ones you described
Anyway most of the topics about narcosis and other risks were thoroughly explained in the AOW I took some time ago, which makes me think that the AOW was well organized

I have yet to dive anywhere with an operation that requested to see a "Deep Diver" specialty card. They have asked for an Advance Open water certification card or its equivalent though.

AOW can be viewed as part of a training continuum, Deep Diver is a specialty rating.

PADI does not limit a diver to 30 meters...in fact PADI does not restrict basic Open Water Divers to 18 meters...they simply suggest that one gain experience and/or further training before venturing into depth deeper than the training they have received covers. It is commercial dive operations and their insurance companies that impose the restrictions on depth.

I am NAUI master diver certified and PADI divemaster certified. I have never done a specific "deep diver" specialty.

My recommendation would be to do the AOW course if you can only afford or have time for 1 course. It opens the door for other opportunities such as Rescue, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor programs.

-Z

I have yet to dive anywhere with an operation that requested to see a "Deep Diver" specialty card. They have asked for an Advance Open water certification card or its equivalent though.

AOW can be viewed as part of a training continuum, Deep Diver is a specialty rating.

PADI does not limit a diver to 30 meters...in fact PADI does not restrict basic Open Water Divers to 18 meters...they simply suggest that one gain experience and/or further training before venturing into depth deeper than the training they have received covers. It is commercial dive operations and their insurance companies that impose the restrictions on depth.

I am NAUI master diver certified and PADI divemaster certified. I have never done a specific "deep diver" specialty.

My recommendation would be to do the AOW course if you can only afford or have time for 1 course. It opens the door for other opportunities such as Rescue, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor programs.

-Z

You have to be at least an Adventure Dives before doing the Deep Diver specialty. That means completing three "Adventure Dives" which is practically AOW. The shop I'm getting my AOW from does Peak Performance Boyancy, Night, and Underwater Navigation as the first three adventure dives which then allows you to do the Deep and Wreck adventure dives to finish the AOW.

You have to be at least an Adventure Dives before doing the Deep Diver specialty. That means completing three "Adventure Dives" which is practically AOW. The shop I'm getting my AOW from does Peak Performance Boyancy, Night, and Underwater Navigation as the first three adventure dives which then allows you to do the Deep and Wreck adventure dives to finish the AOW.

Although I am a PADI divemaster I am not super familiar with all their courses, I do have the manual to reference all the courses and their standards/requirements. I am more familiar with NAUI as I have considerable more training under them, and under that umbrella AOW is a specific standalone certification course. It includes training that equates to PADI's deep diver specialty certification, along with navigation, low viz/night, etc. The NAUI AOW course is good down to 40 meters...the depth limit of recreation scuba diving.

One should be aware that just because they have their OW from one agency does not mean they cannot obtain training and certification under the umbrella of another.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom