Difference between force and jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can someone give me a quick, simple answer on the difference between jets and force fins? (and not the action/motion, I mean the difference in using them). Thx

JCLYNES, yes I can give you a simple answer that will allow you to answer the question yourself. Go to a pool and remove/slip-up the heel strap on both Jet and Force fin's. Go and swim with each model and see what happens. You will find out the difference in using them. I love to hear your thoughts. Best bob

JCLYNES, yes I can give you a simple answer that will allow you to answer the question yourself. Go to a pool and remove/slip-up the heel strap on both Jet and Force fin's. Go and swim with each model and see what happens. You will find out the difference in using them. I love to hear your thoughts. Best bob

1. Ergonomics - jet fin extends off end of toes. heel is independent of foot pocket Force Fins fit with toes free and enclose top of foot, instep area, and around to under the heel. With Force Fins you leverage or power the blade from the large muscles in your thigh. With Jet Fins your leveraging or powering the blade from the knee down.

2. Blade dynamics - jet fins you push and pull against the blade and get out of the blade about as much as you put into it. Force Fins you kick against the blade moving your leg forward, the blade rebounds, throwing water behind faster than you can push water behind any fin, while resetting and recovering your leg into position for the next kick. You get more out of a Force Fin than you put into it.

simple answer

Jets work by creating drag and pushing the water out of the way
ForceFins work by creating lift, mocing the water along the blade and "forcing" you forward

Except when using a bicycle kick, you'll get better propulsion from Jets.

Bob, I don't know of anyone who dives without fin straps of some kind. That's a non issue.

Except when using a bicycle kick, you'll get better propulsion from Jets.

Bob, I don't know of anyone who dives without fin straps of some kind. That's a non issue.

That's because you don't know me, except with my drysuit I rarely use the strap, don't need it and its just takes longer to take them back off.

Second, you need to do some static load testing. The ForceFin Pros will significantly out produce the Jets in everything except a frog kick. The last testing I have seen showed 2 divers comparing both in flutter
Diver 1
Jets- 38lbs
FF Pro- 46lbs

Diver 2
Jets- 41lbs
FF Pros- 52 lbs

Walter, it's real issue, either your fin is pushing you through the water or your pulling the fin through the water. A simple test to see what your fin is doing for you is to remove the strap and go kick. Try this in a pool please. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink. Best Bob

I´ve had three pairs of Forcefins, 2 Pro and one Extra.

I used to love diving them, but got problems with my knees after a few years. Currently I dive Jetfins, and love them for their control. Whatever I want to do, they do.

With Forcefin Pro that was IMO not so easy, especially if you have perfect trim, or maybe even head-heavy trim (think Superlite) you have very little leverage on your feet. This is because the Forcefins give almost all resistance on the down-kick, and almost none on the up-kick.

The Forcefin Extra gave a bit better controllability, but was not even close to the Jetfin when frog-kicking. Originally, I ordered the Excellerating Forcefin, but that took about 9 months to receive, and when it arrived, it was not only the wrong colour, but it was an Extra Forcefin...

The only thing that bothers me with the Jetfins is the weight, and that they are a bit bulky...

You get more out of a Force Fin than you put into it.

I'm sorry, but the laws of physics don't allow this to be true. You cannot get more energy out than you put in for anything.

Thanks all and sundry. I'll see if my LDS can loan me a pair of both. Bob, I'm still a bit vague on why taking the straps off will be enlightening...is it to demonstrate the difference, i.e. pulling the fin as opposed to the fin pushing you?

It sounds like jets are probably for me. I do better when not over exerting and whilst I can't frog kick to save my life at the moment that is likely the kick I'll end up with, assuming I ever get it right. I'm more of a tinkerer, rather than a swimmer and I like control rather than power. I just wondered whether the force fins could provide both but thinking about it, they appear to drive you, not the other way around.

Is there any recommended Jet? I only started buying kit in the last couple of years and I'm gutted I've bought all the wrong things (bar my Stinger), and would like to get this right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom