Difference between all computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I change my Petrel battery about once a year, and I can do it myself, in a minute, with a AA battery and a quarter, anywhere in the world. Have had a Suunto flood after a battery change by a dive shop.
I use a SAFT battery and the life is great - might not even need to change it once a year (obviously it depends on how much you dive and what screen brightness you use). When you do need to change the battery, it could not be any easier. Given it uses a AA, you can likely buy one anywhere in the world as well!

That said, the SW's are expensive computers so they are not for everyone - there are plenty of less expensive computers that will still do the job. Buy what you can afford and don't look back!

Shearwater computers are large, definitely not a watch sized computer.

It is worthwhile to check to see if the latest Suunto computers have a different algorithm than their older computers. I have a Suunto Cobra. It was my 1st computer. Used it for over 15 yrs. of diving. Great computer, but very conservative and it did affect my diving on 2 dives a day for multiple day trips.

Last edited:
So many options!
For this type of diving, it really is hard to go wrong.
Five computers I've used and an intimately familiar with (and therefore have an opinion about):
SW Perdix (AI version)-my current computer
Aeris a300cs (the same as the aqualung i750), current back up
Suunto eon steel
Suunto cobra
Suunto zoop

I've loved all of these computers. The cobra was my first. It just stopped reading depth so I sent it in to suunto, and they said they stopped servicing that model so now I have a fancy, expensive paper weight. That was about a month ago. Extremely disappointed in suunto. Makes me question their integrity and customer service.

Still use the zoop, mostly my son uses it. Simply, easy. Great computer for easier diving. I'm quite familiar with it and find it very easy to go through its process tree. Even when I've not used it for a year and try to do something with it, I find it easy to navigate functionality. This is a great computer for vacation, warm water diving, imho.

Eon steel. Really a great computer. Beautiful, easy to navigate. Big. The battery change is a pain as I recall. I used this computer on some dives when I was determining if I wanted the steel or the perdix. Less expensive, kinda bulky. Not as impressed with the ai as on the perdix or the i750. Very easy to use. Screen is awesome.

i750. Love this computer. I dive this as my back up on every dive. Ai is awesome, after two years of diving, have never had a problem with the ai. Perdix chose their transmitters for a reason (best in class imho). SW and the aqualing/aeris/aup transmitters are the same. The screen glare in clear blue caribbean waters makes the screen hard to see during the day. Easy to navigate through its operational tree. Easy to change batteries.some issues with downloading and processing data.

Switched to the perdix a couple months ago. I only have about 30ish dives on it but love it. No issues with the AI. Functionality is great, easy to use, battery change is easy. I've found it hard to navigate more sophisticated functionality (diving two cylinders with different gas mixtures). I dont see someone needing this much computer if not diving allot and looking for more functionality, but it's still awesome. I'm not happy with the straps for attaching it to your wrist, and I use the elastic tubing, but if that broke, you'd lose an expensive tool. In an industry that thrives on redundancy, this surprised me. This computer will grow with you.

I change my Petrel battery about once a year, and I can do it myself, in a minute, with a AA battery and a quarter, anywhere in the world. Have had a Suunto flood after a battery change by a dive shop.
Your Petrel does better than mine then.
The typical Zoop style Suunto takes the same battery as my car key. The only tool required is something pointy to get the strap off.

There are certain differences that appeal to me with the i750. Have you had a chance to use one?
I have Aeris A300CS, this is almost the same device as i750. I went to the shop and tried to play with i750, then read the manual. Here are differences that I found:
1. Screen of i750 seems to be better (more contrast);
2. A slightly different design and menus;
3. i750 has only one algorithm (A300CS has two);
4. I750 supports 3 transmitters (A300CS — 4).

And recently I've bought SW Perdix AI (it use the same transmitter).
Perdix is much better!

I have Aeris A300CS, this is almost the same device as i750. I went to the shop and tried to play with i750, then read the manual. Here are differences that I found:
1. Screen of i750 seems to be better (more contrast);
2. A slightly different design and menus;
3. i750 has only one algorithm (A300CS has two);
4. I750 supports 3 transmitters (A300CS — 4).

And recently I've bought SW Perdix AI (it use the same transmitter).
Perdix is much better!

Can you post a picture wearing the Perdix and Aeris side to side on your wrist ?

Can you post a picture wearing the Perdix and Aeris side to side on your wrist ?

IMG_8928.JPG

Thanks, they look comparable in size, but maybe the additional bulk of the perdix is difficult to see because it is black and blends in with your suit ?

Thanks, they look comparable in size, but maybe the additional bulk of the perdix is difficult to see because it is black and blends in with your suit ?
The Perdix is very comfortable/form fitting and really not that big on the wrist in practical terms. I don't really notice it on my wrist during a dive unless I'm looking at it. I could not imagine wanting to use a computer with a smaller screen - the layout and readability are excellent in all conditions.

Hello,
Vacation diver here. I'm ready to buy a computer and I am very attracted to the shearwater brand.
interested in:
Large display screen, multi gas function, not too complicated, not interested in air integration.

I simply like to dive warm water reefs. I have no interest in cave diving or technical diving.

Which shear water computer is best for me?

If you guys have suggestions besides shear water let me know.
And can anyone convince me to not buy the Suunto steel ( that computer looks awesome)?
I see that you're pretty new - like me. Is there a reason you are interested in such a large and expensive computer? As @Stoo said "On the other hand, you could cover your bar tab on your next two trips with the savings."

There are lots of computers that have large numbers without having massive displays. I recently got the Suunto Zoop Novo. Inexpensive, big numbers, all the information is easy to read. And I'm small and the size isn't overwhelming. My sister has hundreds of dives with the same computer and she is happy with it. Oceanic Geo is another with big, easy to read numbers that is more compact. If it's the big square interface you like, Mares Quad may work. All of them for significantly less than the Shearwater and the Suunto Steel.

Back
Top Bottom