Difference between all computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Nat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
Vacation diver here. I'm ready to buy a computer and I am very attracted to the shearwater brand.
interested in:
Large display screen, multi gas function, not too complicated, not interested in air integration.

I simply like to dive warm water reefs. I have no interest in cave diving or technical diving.

Which shear water computer is best for me?

If you guys have suggestions besides shear water let me know.
And can anyone convince me to not buy the Suunto steel ( that computer looks awesome)?

The Shearwaters are top of the line computers. No one will dissuade you from buying one if you have the money to spend. It would likely be the first and last computer you would ever need.

The Perdix would be fine for you. Heck, I'd love one myself.

Perdix - Shearwater Research

I have two Dive Rite computers, that as a recreational diver, suit me very well.

One is older and discontinued (Nitek Trio), and the other:

Nitek Q Advanced Diving Computer | Dive Rite

I wear them both and like the combination of features of the two.

Have my eye on this one too:

i750TC Dive Computer - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use

Last edited:
To me, you have choices of the non-AI Perdix or the AI version (I have both). Do you want to see your tank pressure on your wrist? Then I'd suggest the AI version. If not, go with the other

Why would you buy Shearwater over anything else? Hands down the best customer support. A super easy interface to use (and a configurable screen). I'll admit I'm not familiar with a Suunto as a company. I did note that the Steel's screen is also configurable.

It's way more computer than you need for simple rec. diving but if you're set on one and have the cash - the Perdix is it. It has a rec. mode which should be all you ever have to set - probably just once.

Liquivision seems to be having problems defining their future currently so I don't suggest in investing in something that is likely discontinued since they were purchased by Huish - although still available their website recently turned into a parts/registration site with no new models shown.

You might consider the better Aqualung model also - I expect with Aqualung's re-branding (they bought Pelagic Pressure Systems recently) it will have a long future. i750TC Dive Computer - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use

i'm assuming what you find attractive about the Shearwater/Eon Steel is the display, i won't talk you out of the Eon Steel except to point out that Suunto's are more conservative than Shearwater's (or almost any other brand) which equates to less bottom time. Plus I sort of want one also - personally I can't see paying all that money for a Perdix for the 20% of it that I'll ever use as a rec. diver.

We're still waiting for an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Wrist mount but it's been at least a couple years now so I wouldn't hold your breath. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd speculate if they are going to release one, it will be at Scuba Show next month (May 6-7)

hth,

Last edited:
. . . Suunto's as a rule are more conservative than Shearwater's which equates to less bottom time. . . .

This may not be an issue if, like a lot of vacation divers, the diver tends to run out of air or permitted dive time before the computer says the diver is out of no-deco time.

In full disclosure, I happily dived with various Suuntos for years, and saw (and still see) many others, including a lot of divemasters at resorts and such, diving (apparently happily) with Suuntos. As a vacation diver, the Suunto's conservatism was rarely the limiting factor in determining when my dive was over. A few years ago I bought a Shearwater, mainly for its user-friendliness (bright colorful screen, intuitive buttons, etc.) and Shearwater's reputation for customer service and transparency, but secondarily, like a lot of others on SB, because I thought I might get into tech diving. Had my eyes not been ageing to the point where the small monochrome Suunto screen became difficult for me to read, I might still be using my old Suunto. The EON Steel seems worth a look.

I’ll say +1 for a SW Perdix. The only negative about them are the cost, and if you can swing it, then go for it. The computer is well thought out it just about every aspect, great firmware updates from the company, stories of AMAZING customer service, great screen, intuitive controls, VERY user changeable batteries… I really don’t think you’ll regret it (and it’s a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Suunto).

Oh, and I have nothing to gain by saying this… but there’s a ‘controversial’ seller on SB right now. He’s offering the SW Perdix for quite a discount. May be worth checking him out… pay with a CC or PayPal for goods/ services to protect yourself should things go south (I’ve bought from him, and wouldn’t hesitate to do business with him again).

Buying a Perdix is kinda overkill... Kinda like getting a Porsche for your first car. Nothing wrong with it, but dang near any computer will do the job. As others have said, if you don't mind parting with the cash, go for it. On the other hand, you could cover your bar tab on your next two trips with the savings.

I own a Petral by the way... they are fantastic computers and the customer service is extraordinary.

It may be overkill for what you are doing, but you can't go wrong with Shearwater. Buy what you want. Overkill is consistently more fun. I've had great luck with my Shearwater products. I'm currently diving a Predator.

Buying a Perdix is kinda overkill... Kinda like getting a Porsche for your first car.

I don't think that's a great analogy. A Porsche is a terrible car for a lot of applications - limited cargo space, not very good off road, wastes gas, expensive repairs, uncomfortable back seat if even included. If you buy a Perdix, there really is no tradeoff other than the cost. So if you can afford it, why not?

As others have said, even if you never do a minute of deco, it's a terrific computer. Customer service is beyond first rate, near indestructible, easily replaceable AA battery that you can get anywhere in the world, incredibly readable and customizable display, etc...

Mares puck!....come into the city and visit leisure pro and try a few on....$149.00 work just fine for a recreational diver!

Back
Top Bottom