difference between a scuba tank & fire extinguisher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One is full of breathable air (hopefully)
The other is full of white powdery substance that is a wee bit harder to breath.

crespilho once bubbled... Hi, what are the differences between a scuba tank and a fire extinguisher tank?
SCUBA tanks are rated to higher pressures, normally 2400psig or above. CO2 fire bottles are rated to 1800Psig. CO2 bottles are very positively buoyant. SCUBA bottles are within a few pounds of neutral.

There are also fire bottles that use other than CO2 and are rated for even lower pressures.

At about 130-140 dollars for a new AL80, I can't see an advantage to trying to use a fire bottle.

Most obvious difference is that a SCUBA tank is approved by the DOT for fill with breathable air, a fire extinsisher is not.

Second is as already stated the workign pressures, SCUBA AL 80 at 3000 PSI Vs my fire extinisher at 175 PSI

Third, any reputable air fill station willnot fill a fire extinsiher with breathable air.

I would assume he means CO2 fire extinguisher which, as said by DonBurke is absolutely true. Back in the 60's was a common alternative to a std dive bottle. But required a bushing to reduce the tread from 1" to the std of the time 1/2" taper pipe. A problem arose with people using cast bushings instead of brass HP type and some bottles weren't light as they had a thick flat bottom.( I know people like that oh well) And none had a decently durable paint job. For a 12yr old kid in the 60's Ok; today and with the atmosphere at fill stations definete NO Way
(Also most I've seen were 2015 and ICC3AA or DOT3AA again CM steel)

In my PSI tank inspector class tonight we discussed those cute little bushings that people use to neck down a fire bottle for scuba use. Our instructor says "you are required to remove the bushing and not return it to the customer".

Do you think he meant a Scott air pack? You know the kind firemen wear for breathing air? And if so that kind of bottle is very buoyant. They are now making them out of different composites like carbon fiber. A great way to save weight on the surface but they would be difficult to sink even full. Plus they are a lot smaller, only about 30 min of air at surface pressures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom