Difference between 3rd & 4th gen Air2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

I got to look at an Air2, 4th generation schematic and can't see the difference between it and a 3rd gen Air2 that would warrant a generation change. Was it just Scubapro's way of celebrating the millenium? All the main parts appear to be the same part number. Only difference I saw was the 4th gen did not have a washer between the poppet and the spring. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just overlooked including it in the schematic.

Is this just a marketing ploy rather than a design change?

The retaining pin for the purge cover (01-075-131) is not shown on the 3rd generation schematic either.

Tabata makes the Air 2 for Scubapro and once the exclusive rights expired, they started marketing them through TUSA (Tabata USA) as the Duo Air. The TUSA Duo Air is an Air 2 with different shaped buttons and minor cosmetic changes but otherwise internally identical and the parts are fully interchangeable.

So I suspect marketing had a lot to do with the creation of a 4th generation Air 2 as SP most likely wanted to market something "new" even though there was no engineering or performance need to make a change.

Ironically, the Duo Air seems to be more of a 4th gen Air 2 than a 3rd gen Air 2 in that it has the retaining pin for the purge cover.

DA Aquamaster:
The retaining pin for the purge cover (01-075-131) is not shown on the 3rd generation schematic either.
My 3rd Gen Air2 schematic (dated 04/00) includes the PITA cover pin. So I guess that just leaves marketing!

Thanks

I could be wrong, but doesn’t the 4th Gen AIR 2’s LP hose have “fins” (see attachment) just below the quick-disconnect coupling whereas the 3rd Gen AIR 2’s LP hose does not?

Vie:
I could be wrong, but doesn’t the 4th Gen AIR 2’s LP hose have “fins” (see attachment) just below the quick-disconnect coupling whereas the 3rd Gen AIR 2’s LP hose does not?

My schematics show the same LP hose on each. The schematics do not include the corrugated hose connecting to the BC bladder. I believe that would be part of the BC.

Hey all,
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but any of you have any contacts at SP. I'd like to get in touch with their engineering people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom