did you hear the news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skin Diver does seem to be past its glory days though, I had a subscription to it back in '89-92 when I was interested in scuba but could only afford to dive vicariously through the mag. I somehow got a copy of one of the new ones through the mail recently, and it was no where near what it was back then - it did seem to be mostly advertisements and had only 1/5 the number of pages and 1/10th the content that the ones from the '80s-'90s.

Spectre once bubbled...

Given the number of ads in that magazine, I doubt it.

Where is your source of information?

There was quite a discussion on Rodales in the last day or so. Someone supposedly talked to the editor....

Skin Diver demise link

I've read the same thing on several message boards and from some of the people who had been writing for Skin Diver. Take it as you will...

As a new diver, I like skin diver. It has a lot of ads but I like to see what's out there. Plus the pictures are beautiful. I would be sad to see it go away.

Jessica

I emailed Skin Diver, and got a little bit of a runaround, but finally ran this fox to ground. Here is the straight word from the publisher.
Rick
-----------------------
October 9th, 2002

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As of today Skin Diver magazine is no longer in existence.

The state of the market, industry and the challenges presented to the Skin Diver business over the past year have been insurmountable for the business to continue on in light of the profit expectations of our parent company. The November 2002 issue is the final issue produced by Primedia.

The people that have been a part of the Skin Diver team over the past 50 plus years need to be commended, congratulated and honored for producing this amazing title. Personally, I am proud to have led this title and worked with so many outstanding people. As many of these individuals venture into the industry please consider the talent and professionalism that I recognized in each of them as you consider inviting them to be a part of your business. Each of us at Skin Diver prided ourselves on the fact that we always sold our services based on results and our client’s needs.

With a very heavy heart and great deal of regret I say “thank you” to all the businesses that invested their advertising dollars with us over the past 50 years and to the readers that have been with us for so many years…farewell and good diving.

If you have any advertising questions please call Kathy Knoll at 323 782-2538 and for editorial questions please call Daryl Carson at 323 782-2966.

Guy Miller
Publisher
Skin Diver Magazine

...where am I going to view 200 liveaboard ads in one convenient location now?
;-0

I will miss my subscription that I got through my DAN membership. The pics were good. Marty Snyderman has one of the best jobs in the world. Hey, it's a magazine about diving; I liked it. Does this mean that my Alert Diver will be twice as large?
WWJD?- What will Jean (Jean Michel Cousteau) do?

..........how very true, O-ring. On the bright side, the tropical rainforests will be a litle safer now with the drop in wood-pulp demand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom