Did it, and then some...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

Several months ago, I posted asking some questions about open water classes and what was required to get certified. The board was great in answering a lot of questions and providing encouragement when needed.

After taking classes at home in San Francisco in December, I'm happy to report that I finished up my certification by referral in Honolulu, HI in late January. It was an entirely awesome experience. Finished up the skills with no problems, saw tons of turtles, fish, and on later dives, dolphins. I enjoyed the class so much that I took the AOW class immediately following, to get a first bit of experience with other diving activities, like a deep dive, a wreck dive, navigation, etc. (I know that a card doesn't make me advanced and that I need much more experience, but it gave me a way to structure more dives in a supervised setting at little additional cost.)

Definitely a fun sport. I'll definitely go again on vacation. (Whether I go in the cold Pacific, i.e. Monterey, is undecided...)

For those interested, I used Reeftrekkers in Honolulu. Dave and Andre were outstanding; took me to great spots every day, small groups each time, and went above and beyond in their service. Well worth the money and I'll definitely use them again.

In any case, thanks to everyone who helped when I asked questions. I'll probably be around with more questions soon. Thanks again!

Congrats to you!

Although I've never been diving in Monterrey, if you do decide to do some cold water diving, I'm sure it will be a very rewarding experience. I had the pleasure to dive in the Seattle area, and I think about it quite often.

Dive safe,

Jack

I have Hawaii on my next to visit list...

Congratulations, and now that you've experienced it all first hand, we look forward to hearing more from you :)

Congratulations, I am just starting but know there is a great deal of fun and excitement to be had in the world of diving. I have been out once now and can't wait to get under. Have fun and dive safe and often. :D

...since I certified there in 1978!

There were only a half dozen dive operators on the island of Oahu when I lived there in 1975-78. All of our diving was done off the beach or wet reef and I bought most of my equipment at the Swap Meet!

I guess that was a simpler time....

Boy do I feel old talking about that stuff....

Monterey is great

I have been to Hawai'i a couple of times, in fact I got my cert on Maui, and even though some would say it is better it is too different to compare. I love diving here in spite of the cold water.

come on down and go diving with us

Back
Top Bottom