Did I take too big a risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica- As all the others have said, you did the right thing. I've been diving five decades and do most of mine solo. If I take the responsibility of diving with a buddy, even a newly certified one, I dive their dive or whatever is communicated to me. That is part of the buddy system.

I have been paired up with bozo buddies when I travel solo internationally. When one puts my life in danger through stipidity (as opposed to inexperience), I act based on my own judgment. For example in Fiji I was assigned a buddy who claimed he had dived with God. I was leery. When he started barreling down past 150 feet without regard to me 25 feet above, I signalled to the DM that I was rejoining the rest of the group and he dealt with the bozo.

Don't put yourself in danger because of another's disregard for dive plans and good buddy communication.

Dr. Bill

Good call on not making the second dive with this dude. The thing you could have done differently was told the DM and Captain right away after the 1st dive. If they were any good (and it seems they were), they would have benched the dude from making a second dive, and put you with someone else on the boat.

Personally, after he went in the wreck without you, I would have thumbed the dive right then and there. Obviously dude had no buddy skills and had his own perogative. If such a thing should happen to you in the future and your buddy pressures you into staying down trying to get you to feel comfotable....don't give in. Thumb the dive, get the hell out of the water, b/c it is people like this that are going to make a bad situation worse when something happens.

At Any rate, a learning experience overall, and you got to dive, and everyone came back home. In the future now, you will be wiser. Do not feel bad about anything you did, your actions are perfectly acceptable, and I'm glad you spoke with the DM. Never fear thumbing a dive, and never fear confronting someone about something. Chances are if they get pissy b/c they are doing something that doesn;t make sense to you, you do not by any means have to be his/her buddy.

I learned that two wrongs don't make a right (for those of you who would have left him behind.)

Even though you had a "Bad Buddy" I feel that your actions we're reasonable and safe. You stayed there waiting for the buddy to come back out which shows your conceren for his well being even though your buddy didn't show the same for you.

Had you surfaced right away you would have "risked" a problem on acsent and no one around to assist. You would have also put additional risk on your buddy by leaveing him behind. As long as I can be reasonably safe I won't abandon a "bad buddy" unless I feel my safety is more at risk by staying than leaving. You were no more at risk waiting a few min than if you had by leaving and aborting the dive. I would rather be upset during a dive than leave someone behind I didn't have to and then have two divers at risk.

The only thing I would change is what happened during the SI. I think not speaking to the DM before the next dive was your only mistake. This would have allowed the DM to take actions to help prevent another occurance of this "bad buddy" putting someone else at risk. I don't think confronting the "bad buddy" is your responsibility. It's the DM's responsibility to manage the divers on the boat and address general safety. Had this buddy been an actual friend I would have spoke directly to them first then the DM if the buddy didn't seem receptive.

I think the one thing I would have done differently, is right up front when the guy said he hadn't been diving in 5 years, was let the DM (and the other diver) know this was not a good pairing. You could just say that you both are too inexperienced, and could they do some re-pairing.

But, that's all hind site. I'm certainly with you NOT entering the wreck. I don't go in anything I can't see out the other side...no way no how. And since that was agreed upon before the dive, you are not responsible for the other guy.

Reminds me of the time I was buddied with a guy who had no concept of air or non-deco time management. I had to make decisions twice on the dive on whether to stay with him or take care of myself. The most important thing I got out of rescue training, was never make two victoms!!! At 129 feet, after signaling several times that we needed to head shallower, and with 2 minutes of non-deco time on my computer...I left him. He finally joined me. At about 30 feet, with just enough air to complete a safety stop if I started up NOW, I signalled again...and again left him. He came shooting past me at my safety stop...OOA!!

However, I still would not give up my second dive without at least talking to the DM and asking for another buddy. This would have brought out the descrepancy in his stories about his last dive and maybe they would have kept HIM on the boat the second dive.

This is a prime example of why Solo certification should be recognized by dive operators world-wide. I've found that in most situations it's much safer diving solo when properly equipped, skilled, and experienced than being forced to depend on bozo buddies like that one.

The other poster hit the nail on the head. It is hard to plan work schedules around dive trips for most divers. Because of these conflicting schedules alot of divers postpone, or simply cancel trips. If the Dive operators would figure the money their missing out on because of this, I believe that they would find that the extra cost of liability insurance to cover solo certified divers would most likely be an insignificant hurdle. I've cancelled many dive trips in the past because a buddy backed out. If the Dive operators would have accepted Solo Certification I'd went on the trip without my regular buddy regardless.

I've been paired up with a few buddies like the one you had. Noone will ever convince me that diving with a buddy is safer than diving as a properly skilled, experienced, and equipped certified solo diver is.

I think you did the right things underwater, but you really should have went to the captain, or dive trip leader to make them aware of this guys behavior. What if he'd killed the next buddy on that second dive. There's a good chance you could've saved that persons life if you had made that information known. I do think you allowed yourself to be placed in a bad situation to begin with. Being paired with a complete stranger is never a good idea. There's just no sure way to tell how safe they are. (no matter what their certification level is)

In my personal, but humble opinion, I feel that the liability issues involved with diving with a strange buddy carry a far greater risk than the alternatives of: 1.) Cancelling the trip all together, and not going without a regular buddy that you trust. 2.) Getting solo certified, and go to a destination where this is accepted. (sadly there are few that do) 3.) Charter your own boat, and do what the heck you want to do. (this is mostly what I do) The heck with cattle boats. and last but definitely not least 4.) Hook-up with a group of divers that you know you trust that are planning a nice all-inclusive trip. This allows you plenty of time to figure out who you want to pair up with on your dives. Get to know them. Get with them at a local area (even if it has to be only in a pool somewhere) and see what they know. Lots of telltale signs to be had here. At least talk to them, and the absolutely compare log books long before you board the boat in agreement to dive with them. Remember, we are all at risk of being sued when agreeing to be someone elses dive buddy, no matter what forms we sign, or what agreements we make verbally.

I dive with the attitude that diving without freedom is usually no fun at all anyway. You are in control of your own life. Not the Captain, group leader, or Professional divers in your group. You make the calls when it comes to your own life. Be nice, but if you know you're in the right, just tell it like it is. No exceptions!
"Splash"

Jessica, why do you "always" throw up under water? Seasickness? Dry mouth? What's the deal? I can't say that I havn't ever puked underwater, but, what's going on here?

BTW, good move not going into the wreck.

tssplash, I don't think any kind of solo course would have a place here. This is a NEW diver we are talking about. Now, I waited untill I had over 100 dives to even think about going it alone and I still have mixed feeling when I go alone. Other than that I agree with your post.

"Knowing from the beginning that you can plan, execute and handle any reasonable contingency that may occur, WithOut your assigned budd's help, is when you loose that anxiety when the buddy is less than a proper buddy. You face more risk statistically from your own mistakes that others can't help you with (ie rapid ascent) than from something a bud can help with.

Each diver can be their own best buddy, or their own worst nemises. The good part is, you get to choose which".

OK, the theme of this comment seems to be that if you become a better diver, then you will avoid accidents caused by a (pickup) buddy.

I have had three bad dives in the past 12 months caused by pickup buddies that had problems that I had to fix. I think I bent my elbow on one of them, not sure how bad, still figuring it out. I am not the world's best diver but have been in the water diving since I was 13 years old.

I used to think it was a challenge to help more junior divers. Now I think it is stupid to have pickup buddies. I don't care how good you think you are, you get stuck with situations that may blindside you.

Nice work Jessica. Get a regular buddy that knows you and knows how to dive.

Thanks for the information. The originonal question was about going down in the first place knowing he hadn't dove in 5 years. Someone (sorry I don't remmeber who) said that I should have talked to him first. I did, we agreed neither of us were qualified to go in. Then he changed the plan underwater. As for the other posts about being self sufficient (sp?) under water. I think I am as far as a newbie can be. There are some situations that only experience can prepare you for. My issue wasn't with myself, I think I would have been fine. In most situations. I am not prone to panic and am gernerally pretty logical. It was for the moron I was diving with. I know how I am and I would have felt HORRIBLE if he did something stupid and I couldn't stop it.

No, the boat did not check dive logs. (At least not mine but I have been diving with them several times before)

I am not a very confrontational person. I can be but generally I don't like to hurt peoples feelings. That's why I didn't say anything earlier. I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

And I don't know why I throw up under water. I have been to several doctors who say that there's nothing wrong and Have been cleared to continue diving as long as I don't mind the throwing up.

Thanks
Jessica

JessicaDodge once bubbled...
<snip>

I did, we agreed neither of us were qualified to go in. Then he changed the plan underwater. <snip>

For that alone he "earned" his turn to have his feelings hurt.

Sometimes giving people sh*t isn't about you not being nice. Sometimes it's about them deserving what they get. <repeat>

You didn't owe him anything. It was (a) stupid and (b) highly inconsiderate of him to go in there, especially aftre you told him *twice* not to. You blasting him for that shouldn't have come as any surprise.....

Just practice" "That was REALLY stupid and inconsiderate going in there! I told you TWICE not to and you ignored me! You are NOT welcome to buddy with me again!"

You don't have to say anything more. Then go to the DM and he'll sort you out. It's that simple.

R..

hi Jessica,

thanks for the story- sounds like you did a nice thing by not making a scene on the boat - I too am non- confronational and had an indcident when I started diving with my buddy at the time(no longer) who took some stupid risks. I din't embarass him, just stopped diving with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom