Did I miss the better sites on Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Damselfish : Habitat Curacao has a humble house reef and I won't stay there w/o a car. If renting a car is a big no-no, I'd stay at Plaia Kalki where they have their own eatery now. And their boat will take me to all dive sites nearby.
The house reef at the former Habitat used to be very nice, though more one direction than the other last time I dove it. I personally wouldn't stay there without a car either, but the OP doesn't drive, or have a buddy, and wants non-solo night diving every night or something to do at night, and wants 4-5 dives a day, and prefers it to be convenient rather than running around to different ops, and is quite particular about the marine life and diving quality, and probably some other things I'm forgetting - I was stretching for things that might work, but I don't think it actually exists on Curacao. Or much of anyplace in the Caribbean actually, beyond a liveaboard.

Last edited:
With all due respect, Westpunt is a lot further west than dmaziuk indicated. google it. Willemstad to Westpunt; 56 min (45.8 km) via Weg Naar Westpunt

Sorry, you're right, I was mis-remembering. It's a bit of a drive now that I think about it.

You can arrange an airport pick-up/drop-off w/ AllWest/GoWest, but dep. on when your flight lands and how long you're staying, you may not be able to buy all your food on the way from the airport.

What about Atlantis Aot's/Diving. It's a little east - probably a mile west of Lions Dive/Mambo Beach and the other resorts etc. There's a shore dive there and IIRC Atlantis Diving does guided shore diving elsewhere. I believe they pickup cruise pax also so would probably get you. The Dive Bus would be pretty close (Pierbaai) so would get you also.

It is a little east of the harbor downtown - maybe 5? miles and I have no clue what's in the immediate area. I believe there's a large food store a mile or two away - I remember passing it driving towards downtown from the Sea Aquarium area which is only about a mile east.

disregard ^ - see post below.

Someone once told me a cab to that general area is $40 from the airport but IDK.

I just can't see anywhere west of the city working for you as you'll be stuck there w/o a pretty expensive cab ride - at least late at night.

Last edited:
I can't rent a car (a long story).
Longer than this thread? All kidding aside, with no car and diving solo and not wanting to stay out in Westpunt I don't see many options for diving sites in Westpunt that don't involve a lot of extra costs and a lot of time on the road.

Atlantis no longer offer apartments for rent, the best similar option close by would be "Scuba Lodge" but they are not cheap!

Hello, Ironborn.
We have shore dived the West end of Curacao three (2 wk) trips with another 2 wk+ trip planned in Feb 2018. We (also) stay at Marazul, in Westpunt. The drive from the airport eats up time (seems like 1/2 day), so we buy groceries upon arrival before our drive out to Marazul, & then only 1 other trip to Centrum near the airport, early in the second week. Lots of sandwiches & simple fruit during our shore diving SIs lunches stretch the groceries (simple fare). An “arrival” pre-order of food items purchased for you, to bide you a few days makes great sense, if your lodging will provide this service - we have done this.
IMO the coral is exceedingly lush just off the drop off of Playa Kalki/Go West home reef, Playa Picado/local fishing dock reef (my image), Marazul’s home reef, & Playa Forti - they are lovely. Perhaps large fish aren’t exceedingly abundant, but perhaps a slower pace would reveal the “hidden” smaller marine life. We see plenty of life overall (squid, octopus, frog fish, eels, various rays, turtles, + the “usuals”), but - yes - it IS different than Cozumel, which is lovely in its own regard.
We also enjoy Bonaire (alternating years w Curacao) for its similarity & differences (lovely & easier to navigate shore diving sand beaches in Curacao). But Curaçao is a much larger island than Bonaire making diving “best/favorite” dive sites more problematic/time consuming requiring good planning & again some transportation. And, we actually think the double reef of Port O’Marie IS lush & lovely - worth diving every trip. I cannot imagine staying on the west end of Curacao without a car. We plan & drive around the west end to cover the sites we wish to dive, daily.
If I had no transportation, I think I would select Cozumel with a dive resort with boat dives within walking distance from town, or go to Bonaire & do the same. Curaçao almost requires more time (for transportation) with stays at either end of the island & a guide (at either end) with a car or boat.
I haven’t been to Little Cayman Dive Resort, but shore diving Cayman Brac is worthwhile for diversity (without a car you’d want to stay & boat dive with either the Brac Reef resort, or some other lodgings that work with the Brac Shack dive shop. Just 2 dive shops on Brac), although neither may have the nite life you are looking for.
I missed when your trip is planned - good luck! Diving ANYWHERE, is better than staying at home. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom