Did I make a mistake regarding proper procedure? No safety stop after 1 min at depth.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ascent rate on first dive was probably about 10 feet/min. Maybe 15 feet/min.

Ascent rate on second dive was probably 15-20 feet/min.

Ascent rate on third dive was similar to first. 10-15 feet/min.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Spent probably 1-2 min on the surface between my "second" and "third" dive. Then went straight back down.

For the work, we were moving cinder blocks. Tiring; was breathing heavily towards the end of the dive (not so much in the beginning, we had a lift bag to move the cinder blocks in the first portion of the dive). Water temp was 48F.

Running them through v-Planner suggests that three-dive series should be ok... but exertion, repetetive dives, short SI, and a bounce in between dives, all in cold water is sort of asking the dive gods to spank you. (v-planner can't include exertion or water temp)

You mentioned carrying a boat? After the dive too?

Throw in a bit of dehydration and you've checked most of the "things that increase your DCS risk" boxes.

Okay. What would you recommend my next step be?

Should I wait until tomorrow to see if I feel that I'm bent? Should I call DAN now and try to get to a decompression chamber?

My right arm is a little bit sore but mostly in my bicep area (not my joints). Nothing serious though, just a minor annoyance. Not unbearable painful or anything. The rest of my body feels fine. We we're hauling a lot of gear and I was carrying a boat with my right arm so I was thinking that might be why it's sore.

I did that already, even with a fast-ish ascent, he did it. Bad news for you.

I'm not the one complaining about arm pain after a series of repetetive dives. And I've had a TE ultrasound that was negative for a PFO... so bad news for one of you two. Statistically speaking, of course.

I'd recommend you relax, go watch a movie and grab a beer...
But if you want a free ambulance ride, just call DAN...

Bull****... 50 feet for 40 minutes is nothing, you're still far from deco on air with that.
Absolutely no problem with that... Yes it's a "bounce", yes it's "bad" to bounce after a big dive. However 15m-40min is not a big dive. No risk at all.

At least, that's how I'd react to this... I just avoid ascending fast, but even a fast ascent from this would most likely not get you bent imo

Brave words.

A missed safety stop is not the same thing as blowing off a deco obligation, and in the absence of symptoms, I don't think that the OP needs medical attention. However, the newer divers reading this thread should understand that multiple ascents are definitely a risk factor for DCS, and I can tell you first hand that you absolutely can get bent without hitting your NDLs.

http://www.rothschilddesign.com/dcs/

The thing about DCS is that there are a huge number of variables that determine whether or not someone gets hit. If that wasn't the case - if it was just simple algorithms and math - then there would be no need for a safety stop at all. The safety stop is really there as a buffer for people on the bad side of the bell curve for one reason or another, which is why it makes sense from a statistical point of view to recommend them as a routine practice.

So, let's say I am bent. It seems like a relatively minor case of DCS. Should I still seek medical attention (i.e. hyperbaric chamber)?

Nobody here can answer that.

It is not impossible that you are bent, if you were looking for a definite 'you will be ok answer' you will not get it.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not really asking whether or not I'm bent, I know that I very well could be. I'm more interested in whether a mild case of DCS still necessitates a trip to a hyperbaric chamber.

Talk to a doctor/DCS help line, DAN or whoever provides such services local to you. They will ask what happened, how you feel and some proper medical questions. Then they might ask you in or not depending on their opinion.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom