Did I make a mistake regarding proper procedure? No safety stop after 1 min at depth.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I just wanted to make sure I followed the proper procedure, I'm pretty sure I did but just wanted to double check.

So today, I did two dives. My first dive was 50 feet for 40 minutes (nitrox). After a surface interval of ~30 min, I start my second dive. Right when me and my buddy get to depth, I remember that I forgot something and returned to the surface. I didn't make a safety stop since I figured I had only been at depth for 1 min, that wasn't enough time for nitrogen to build up in my blood and I didn't need to make a safety stop. I got what I needed from the boat and then returned to depth and carried out my dive as usual (again was about 40 minutes at 50 feet).

Was I okay not making a safety stop? Or should I have made one?

Thanks.

You will know the answer in 24 hrs..

Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by that?

Edit: I guess are you implying if I feel like I'm bent? My right arm is sore (and is what initially prompted this question), but I think that might just be from carrying the boat. Rest of my body feels fine.

How deep was "depth" on the second dive?

Why such a short SI? While you may not have added much nitrogen to your tissues on the second dive, you still had plenty from your first dive.

A bounce dive following a short SI could be problematic.

Bull****... 50 feet for 40 minutes is nothing, you're still far from deco on air with that.
Absolutely no problem with that... Yes it's a "bounce", yes it's "bad" to bounce after a big dive. However 15m-40min is not a big dive. No risk at all.

At least, that's how I'd react to this... I just avoid ascending fast, but even a fast ascent from this would most likely not get you bent imo

Depth on the second dive was approximately 45 feet for 1-3 minutes before I surfaced.

The surface interval was short because we had some work to conduct and we're trying to get it all done for the day. According to the NAUI tables, I believe we only need a surface interval of 10 minutes.

Edit: Also, the nitrox was 30% O2.

Bull****... 50 feet for 40 minutes is nothing, you're still far from deco on air with that.
Absolutely no problem with that... Yes it's a "bounce", yes it's "bad" to bounce after a big dive. However 15m-40min is not a big dive. No risk at all.

At least, that's how I'd react to this... I just avoid ascending fast, but even a fast ascent from this would most likely not get you bent imo

A.) Who said anything about deco?

B.) "No risk at all?" There is NO dive profile that carries no risk at all.

We know nothing about the diver, his profile on the first dive beyond max depth/time, nothing about his ascent rate on the second dive.

Is there a tremendous risk associated with the general concept of what the OP did? Not really. But to say "no risk at all" and "absolutely no problem" is somewhere between naive and absurd.

Did you know that clinical data suggest that as many as 1 in 3 people have a PFO? That means that - statistically speaking - between, you, me, and the OP one of us could easily have a HUGE problem with that repetitive dive series.

I apologize for not being more specific, I don't have a computer that I can pull the dive profile from but from what I recall the first dive went something like this:

45 feet (~12 min), 40 feet (~7 min), 50 feet (~15 min), ascend slowly, safety stop at 15 feet (3 min)

As for my ascent rate on my bounce, I don't recall exactly. It was under 30 feet/minute though.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Depth on the second dive was approximately 45 feet for 1-3 minutes before I surfaced.

The surface interval was short because we had some work to conduct and we're trying to get it all done for the day. According to the NAUI tables, I believe we only need a surface interval of 10 minutes.

Edit: Also, the nitrox was 30% O2.

What kind of "work" were you doing? Water temp?

What was your accent rate on first and "second" dive? What about the "third" dive?

Did you know that clinical data suggest that as many as 1 in 3 people have a PFO? That means that - statistically speaking - between, you, me, and the OP one of us could easily have a HUGE problem with that repetitive dive series.

I did that already, even with a fast-ish ascent, he did it. Bad news for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom