Did I just get taken by ALL WET Scuba in Tempe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the costs quoted are very good.

Here are my rates to clients - keep in mind different manf regs have different costs for services kits

Hose protector - I don't believe in them and don't sell them
1st Stage kit 9000-01 $25 (this looks like a USD part number)
2nd stage kit 9000-13 $15 (this looks like a USD part number)
2nd stage 9000-13 $15 (this looks like a USD part number)
M15 kit #10.600.041 $30.00 (Mk 15 Scuba Pro)
R190 kit 11.300.045 $15 (ScubaPro)

D400 Kit 11.012.045 No idea on this
Comfort Mouth piece $16.00
Misc shop supplies incld in the service costs
Plus I would charge you 15.00 per first stage and 10.00 per second stage for the service.

For me the cost of the service kits are double what shops in the US pay and I think my service rates are lower than most dive shops.

Since you had the service done in the US I assume that the ScubaPro service kits would be free if the regs are in warranty. They have a lifetime free parts if serviced each year. For the USD regs I think the parts are free for the first 5 years.

I don't think the price you paid is bad, just check on the warranty issue.

Dennis

Last edited:
Hey - no fair posting the same thing twice! this is also in "Sand Sharks" in AZ in this forum. "Did I get Taken by ALL WET Scuba in Tempe?"

Hose protector $8

You got ripped off by at least by $8, apparently.

Yeah, you got taken to the cleaners.

You don't know what you are talking about. Easy statement to make with no backup.

Here's a repair shop with a great reputation....

Malibu Dive Repair

Compare the prices and you decide.

All the best, James

This seems to be the average price for repair. The poster got a good deal.

Dennis

....if you paid $ 125 per reg (parts and labor), then I think you pretty much paid the going rate...at least it's the same rate as I pay locally.

I know Brett and Chris and doubt they are trying to rip you off. If I remember they charge about $60 + parts to rebuild 2 second stages and the first stage. I believe you get all the used parts back that were replaced. All parts get replaced so age doesn't really make a difference. As a comparison check this site Regulator Service and Parts - Dive Gear Express As for $15 to rebuild 3 stages buyer beware.
Bob

I paid about $188USD to have the Atomic factory do the biennial service on my 1st stage, 2nd stage and octo. So, $125/set doesn't seem outlandish.

I guess that depends on what was actually DONE to the reg. If you did not need two new mouthpieces, a full blown kit for each reg (likely), hose protectors, and the farm, than IMO yes, you got still ripped off. Those parts packages may contain $3 in parts, and most shops have a lot lying around.

If you in fact really needed a complete rebuild on both regs.. well you likely still got fleeced!

Did you pay a lot more than most LDS's charge? No. My LDS used to charge $75 for a complete reg tune-up. Two years ago, that changed, and they now charge $130 for a tune up. I responded by using TDL. I think ScubaToys charges a similar rate.

Regulator Service : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

Add about $20 for shipping, and that is $150 for two complete regs with Octo, and inspecting the gauges if you send those in.

At the prices you paid, skip the service, get 100 dives on the reg, and purchase new every couple three years, and you will still be ahead vs. the *required* annual service.

Folks that are telling you that LDS prices are fair IMO are not wrong, I just refuse to pay them. There are more than a few internet shops that do as good or better job of servicing regs at about 1/2 the price.

As LDS's are paying their techs next to nothing, I have no clue why they are so proud of those inflated prices. :shakehead:

That is one of my biggest rubs with LDS's. Yes, some are struggling. But many in our area pay their techs, retail folks, and most important the Dive Professionals... peanuts. They charge the diver huge. The average OW student in our area pays the LDS $500+ for certification, and likely closer to $1000 with basic equipment purchases (or they pay $50+ to rent), and what do the instructors get.... $50 per student, $25 for each leg...

But I digress, yes, you overpaid, but you should have asked before taking this stuff to them for service.

The shop I use charges $27, plus parts, to service both the first and second stage and inspect the SPG. For example, my son just paid $45 total to have his Conshelf serviced with all new parts and this also included a used inflator hose.

Back
Top Bottom