Did I just get taken by ALL WET Scuba in Tempe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with bobfer, the charges look reasonable and customary for a regulator service. The $60 labor for service and parts extra is par for the course look at TDL another scuba shop in Arizona (link tdl.divebiz.net and go to service) it's $65 labor and extra for parts. And service kits are not FREE in general, they run anywhere from $15 to $50 depending on the manufacture, so what you were charged looks correct.
Try looking at the form you most likely signed authorizing the labor + parts (and that is what they did). As all things in life you sign and authorize ask questions and make it clear in writing how much you are willing to pay without calling you.

And for ScubaPro -- to keep your manufactures warranty they require it to be serviced by a authorized dealer.

I had a Oceanic Delta 4 and a Aquatec air 3 done by Brett at All Wet a couple of months ago. I actually took it into The Scuba Shop but Brett does their work.
Mine were under warranty and parts were covered for free. The total bill was $60.
Without a free parts program I'm not surprised by the cost.
I many cases it doesn't pay to have a out of program regulator rebuilt when you could sell it and purchase a new one for what you'd sell off your old one for plus what rebuilding it would have cost.

one thing that I hope the shop told you was that if you buy your parts this year (assuming you've missed a year, are the original owner and bought them from an authorized dealer in the first place) you should be back on the scubapro free parts for life program. Which means if you have them serviced next year you won't buy those parts again.
This assumes too that the shop you use is an authorized scubapro service center, the regulators are registered to you AND the shop filled out and gave you the proper paperwork for this years service.
The free parts for life program is a great deal and over the life of the reg's can save you the cost of the reg itself.

Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

I've used them and I think mine were around 60 plus the UPS shipping there and back (couldn't find the exact # / receipt sorry); they do a really great job send you a slip with your cracking pressure and IP on it and this is total for a 1st, 2nd, full sized octo, and gauge all done including replace o-rings/sintered filters/etc.

If you don't happen to have a local shop that you have a great relationship with for whatever reason I'd make this your fall back. YMMV.

Took 2 regs in to be serviced. $60 each. Ok no problem.

one of them is literally less than 1yr old. Less than 10 dives on it. Well maintained. Just figured id take it in for the hell of it since we were brining in my wifes. Hers is an older reg, Scubapro. Supposedly these guys are the only ones that can service them.

Picked up the regs and had a $258 bill!

His question seems to have been the price for two regs.

Last edited:
costs look very much in line to me.If the gear is out of warrenty the costs of completing an annual are higher.Rebuild kits are used whenever an annual is performed.That way it insures the job is done right and less likely to come back if a older part fails.Also helps cover liability for store.
Why did you let the the gear get out of warrenty?It is a good thing the facility is able to renew warrenty on scubapro regulator,I guess you purchased it from a authorized dealer.As for the Aqualung regulator ,you are out of luck.As far as I know the warrenty cannot be renewed on that one..Don't want to pay for new mouthpeice or hose protector-tell them to remove it and replace with your old ones.Then when you are on a boat dive or expensive vacation you may find that you cannot make the dive because mouthpeice or hose went bad at that moment.

Thanks guys. The Scubapro was purchased used. The Aqua Lung was new and purchased at Sports Chalet almost 2yrs ago.

I can understand a few of the charges but does this not seem usery???

Sorry to nitpick but you can call it a rip off, overcharging, a scam or even theft but you can't call it USURY. (With the exception of the hose protector - the charges seem reasonable to me though).

Last edited:
Sounds like it -- but you won't have been 'taken' until you go back and protest the bill. If they stand fast, contact the Better Business Bureau, go to ripoff.com, and tell us here.

The prices for the individual items purchased is pretty reasonable. The labor charge per set is very typical. I assume the ScubaPro parts kits are billed at a fair price. Actually, the two Aqua Lung kits were sold to you for slightly less than list price. Remember, the total charge is simply the result of the individual items purchased.
While the total may shock you a little, it is certainly in line with what you might find at almost any scuba store.

I think it is a little bit extreme to call this being "taken". There seems to be no cause here for the BBB, and there is certainly no cause for going to ripoff.com! Not liking the total price and having a little sticker shock is considerably different from being "ripped off".

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Not liking the total price and having a little sticker shock is considerably different from being "ripped off".

+1

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom