Did I just get taken by ALL WET Scuba in Tempe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop should have been up front on a total service estimate with you however, and I think most good shops will call you if they find an unanticipated problem that will drive the price well above the estimate.

Bingo. That's where the problem lay. He walked out thinking the total bill was going to be around $120 and was stunned--as I would be--when he returned to find out it was actually more than double.

Poor communication. And that's the shop's fault.

The repair bill on a washing machine and/or a used car is a spot on analogy. I drive a 20 year old Jeep with about 130,000 miles on it, so every time I take it in for service technically my car's totalled. I just spent $400 on new, but certainly nothing special, tires. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to come out of the house one morning to find my Jeep up on blocks. :D

So, almost $60 an hour for a tech? I know, its not all profit and I don't blame the shops for charging what they can but if I were buying new I would definately be looking for a reg with the longest service interval. No matter how you slice it, main. cost is a little unreasonable IMO.

Again, not blaming the shops, but why can't the engineers make a system that last longer?

Many people dive regulators 3, 6, even 10 years between rebuilds. The one year service recommendation made by most manufactures is an attempt to make sure that EVERY regulator is functioning properly, regardless of the number of dives and the level of care provided by the owners. They even provide motivation to keep the regulator serviced often by providing the free parts for life warranties.

Many people think that the manufacturers establish this interval simply to provide "repeat business" for dealers. To me, this argument doesn't hold water, because the manufacturers don't do very much else to help and support dealers. I certainly don't know why they would choose service as an attempt to throw some cash flow to the dealer. I think it is simply because they have no way of knowing WHICH regulators are going to be poorly maintained and cleaned by customers, they don't know ones will get the heavy use, and they operate at considerable fear due to liability.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

And worth every penny! I sent some Oceanic Omega II's to Phil's shop (clear across the country) and when they came back they were perfect. Thanks Phil!

Back to our regularly scheduled bitching...

I do NOT intend to get these regulators serviced every year. I have been on a 5 year (or more) cycle and as long as they work, don't freeflow and don't leak, that's where I'll stay. One of the regs Phil's shop serviced was over 20 years old and had been serviced, maybe, 3 times.

Put the regulator on a tank and throw the whole thing in a tub of water. Let it sit for awhile and then flow the regulators. Take the rig out of the tub, flow the regs and put them away. Repeat every time they are used.

Funny, I don't remember how much Phil charged but I do remember that the regulators worked perfectly. Hm...

Richard

Last edited:
Richard, I just realized I didn't charge enough. Send me fifty more bucks! :D

Thanks for the compliments. Of course, it helps when you are working with a good regulator.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

And worth every penny! I sent some Oceanic Omega II's to Phil's shop (clear across the country) and when they came back they were perfect. Thanks Phil!

Back to our regularly scheduled bitching...

I do NOT intend to get these regulators serviced every year. I have been on a 5 year (or more) cycle and as long as they work, don't freeflow and don't leak, that's where I'll stay. One of the regs Phil's shop serviced was over 20 years old and had been serviced, maybe, 3 times.

Put the regulator on a tank and throw the whole thing in a tub of water. Let it sit for awhile and then flow the regulators. Take the rig out of the tub, flow the regs and put them away. Repeat every time they are used.

Funny, I don't remember how much Phil charged but I do remember that the regulators worked perfectly. Hm...

Richard

So, almost $60 an hour for a tech? I know, its not all profit and I don't blame the shops for charging what they can but if I were buying new I would definately be looking for a reg with the longest service interval. No matter how you slice it, main. cost is a little unreasonable IMO.

Again, not blaming the shops, but why can't the engineers make a system that last longer?

I've got to agree with rstofer.... worth every penny to have your regulator DONE CORRECTLY by someone you TRUST.

They guy who does Phil's regulator rebuilds knows more about regulators than most factory service techs. And he takes pride in his work to make sure that every is PERFECT. I would reccomend him to anyone.

If you think $60/hour is too much, then go try to get a plumber to come to your house. You'll pay at least $85 an hour and "that's not life support equipment". Even more on a Saturday/after-hours (but everyone does get rather bitchy when their toliet doesn't work!)

yeah, you got screwed, and so does everybody on everything.... from plumbers and electricians to doctors and hospitals. ripoffs are everywhere, and it's really hard not to get nailed.
sometimes, **it just happens, and use it as a learning experience - fool me once, shame on you.
fool me twice - shame on me !!!

Thread is four years old Corky...:depressed:

Dammit, Jim, they can't change the rules of physics!
285px-McCoy_medical_tunic.jpg

In all seriousness, though, o-rings/seats only last so long...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom