Did I just get Shafted by my LDS on a VIS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you guys getting an addtional charge for a fill........

would your LDS turn the visualed tanks back over to you empty upon request?

um, I suppose, never really wanted a 'fresh' tank returned to me empty, but I don't own my own compressor so it wouldn't save me any $ doing my own fills. I know some shops that wouldn't return it completely empty and would want some sort of nominal low PSI fill just to keep positive pressure in the tank at a minimum. If you return a rental tank completely empty it's common to be charged for a 'vis' to make sure water/humidity didn't get sucked inside.

1. The price for the inspection is okay.

2. Valve inspections are part of a visual inspection.

3. If they disassembled your valve without your approval, I wouldn't pay for it.

4. The $1 for the o-ring is insulting to you as a customer, unless the LDS specified "parts such as o-rings are extra." (But I get my o-rings for pennies apiece.)

5. Perhaps we are used to cheap visual inspections. But if you've ever done a visual inspection yourself, you'll realize that they are a bit time-consuming and the LDS doesn't make any money. Cut them some slack.

I'm sure mine would and not charge me the $5 for the fill. Perhaps I'm getting it vised in preparation for s dive trip where it was just going to have to be drained for packing.

This type of nickel and diming happens at some shops... I choose not to deal with those shops.. Fool me once! I just had 2 tanks hydro'd and vis'd - $20 ea plus 5 for air. A third tank was vis only for $10+fill.

If you return a rental tank completely empty it's common to be charged for a 'vis' to make sure water/humidity didn't get sucked inside.

That's EXACTLY why I asked. Shops with this policy should likewise assume a fill, whether partial or complete, to be a necessary part of the visual, and therefore included in the charge for the visual.

LOL valve inspection? unless you had it o2 cleaned here is the valve inspection procedure.

valve inspection:
yep. tank has a valve..

Yep, it's sort of like the pilot who wrote on the maintenance request that "#4 engine was missing". The maintenance man wrote "#4 engine found on left wing after brief search".

I just had one of my tanks VIPed. $15 including new tank O-ring and yoke O-ring. The guy knocked off the boot to inspect the bottom of the tank. He even scraped off some of my old, wadded up stickers and then refilled the tank.

Thanks Everone for the info. I did ask how much for the VIS and was told $15 when I droped off the tanks. Waited a week to get them back as well.

I normally do not do business with this LDS but I used them because my normal shop closed down so this is now the closest LDS to my house. I will not do business with them again. I was looking at their gear and it was all over priced anyway. I guess I will drive a bit farther to get to the other location of my normal LDS company.

I have always had great customer service at the location that closed as well as their other location it was just less conveniant to go that far. Oh well.

They are supposed to be reopening my Normal Shop again in a month or 2 in a different shop location. So then it will be back to business as usual with my normal shop.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom