Did I get a fire coral sting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, so feel free to move if it's not. On a shore dive Wednesday 8-28, something got me. I remember brushing up agaist the rock with my wrist and feeling a sharp pain, kind of like a bee sting. After the pain subsided, it began to itch and has been itching ever since. It started out as a tiny red dot and it has spread into a dime-sized red area. I know what fire coral looks like, but I thought it grew on the bottom and not on rocks? If it's not fire coral, does anyone know what else it could have been? I looked closely at the rocks after I got the sting but could not see anything. I have not done any treatment and have been trying not to scratch it.

Bumped a hydroid with the back of my hand once....two weeks before it went away. Now, I love my gloves.

I got a nice batch last December on my leg. I don't know why, but no itch or burn. Just looked terrible or cool depending on the perspective. Hung around a couple weeks. My nephew got some that seemed to disappear by the time we left the boat.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it must have been hydroid like you said. I seem to remember seeing that stuff. Nasty critters.

Whether it was fire coral or hydroid, it will help to treat it -- even at this late stage. Thoroughly douse with vinegar or ammonia to dissolve the last of the nematocysts if any remain. If the area of irritation is still growing, take antihistamines (Benadryl or Chlorotromiton work) or apply an antihistamine cream or gel -- you need to break your allergic reaction to the venom. If the only thing bothering you is the itch, apply hydrocortisone cream. Vicks Vaporub may also be used to mask the itch if you can stand the smell. Hot water compresses -- as hot as you can take - will help a lot.

The blisters will begin to dry out and the rash should disappear within a few weeks. Continued exposure to salt water significantly slows the healing process but does no other harm.

Whether it was fire coral or hydroid, it will help to treat it -- even at this late stage. Thoroughly douse with vinegar or ammonia to dissolve the last of the nematocysts if any remain. If the area of irritation is still growing, take antihistamines (Benadryl or Chlorotromiton work) or apply an antihistamine cream or gel -- you need to break your allergic reaction to the venom. If the only thing bothering you is the itch, apply hydrocortisone cream. Vicks Vaporub may also be used to mask the itch if you can stand the smell. Hot water compresses -- as hot as you can take - will help a lot.

The blisters will begin to dry out and the rash should disappear within a few weeks. Continued exposure to salt water significantly slows the healing process but does no other harm.

Thanks for this info. I did put some hydrocortizone cream on it today and it helped a little with the itching. I may try the benadryl too since I have sensitive skin and break out easily. I was surprsed that now, a week later, it seems worse than ever.

yep. hydroids...there EVERYWHERE!!!!! Seems like they have gone rampid since Wilma, the landscape of the entire reef system has changed to a lot more of them and small branches of black coral, which can get you also.

Just keepon the Benadryl and try not to scratch it, it will turn red, then scarlet red, then purple and finally go away in a couple weeks...I come home with some of it from every trip. The Cozumel "Red Badge of Courage" :D

I backhanded some hydroid a few months ago down there. It didn't feel anything like a bee sting. It was more like pins and needles all over the back of my hand. Got all red and itched a bit. I got some cream at a local pharmacy. I think it was a steroid cream. It's what the pharmacist recommended. Not sure if it really helped. Cleared up in about 2 weeks.

That's why I like my full 2/3 suit and my gloves (even though they're 'not allowed') I don't want to grab the reef, I just don't like itching, stinging, burning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom