Did I cancel prematurely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I cancelled a trip today - for myself. 3 of us were booked on a charter in NJ. I was sick about 2-3 weeks ago with terrible comgestion and coughing. The congestion was deep in my chest and the cough at times was uncontrollable. I have been better and better and Friday (when I booked and paid online for the trip), I was at 98%. Then yesterday I started to cough again and the chest congestion crept back. Nothing to bad - but the cough became productive with thick mucous production.

I woke up this morning and packed the car, and still had a little bit of the "coughs" - then second guessed whether I should be diving in 38 degree water. I started to convince myself that even though I would say that I am at about 95% and I think I would have no problem clearing my ears - Im concerned about the small amount of mucous in my chest potentially blocking air in at depth and expanding as I surface. I still have a small cough - but it is a dry cough this morning.

Im now sitting in bed.....wishing I never cancelled as the other 2 are on their way to the boat. All my gear is packed up and unpacking is going to piss me off even more.

I think you made the right call. The likelihood of that happening is pretty low but still... why risk it? I will not even dive in the chamber if I have a productive cough for the same reason.

Cardinal rule in team diving.
Anyone can cancel any dive, at any time, and for any reason.

Have been there when dives were cancelled
because someone didn't "Feel right" about it.

Most dive sites have been there for longer than any of us,
and they will still be there on another day.

good call. if not 100% can possibly regress and come back worse. then missing more of the season that is just starting, besides, you don't want to be sick and miss the Beneath the Sea Show do you?

Not only was it safer to do what you did, not exposing yourself to the exertion and stress of the day may be better for your recovery. There are studies in horses that exercising them when they are sick makes the illness last longer, and I have no doubt it goes for people, too.

Not only was it safer to do what you did, not exposing yourself to the exertion and stress of the day may be better for your recovery. There are studies in horses that exercising them when they are sick makes the illness last longer, and I have no doubt it goes for people, too.

don't they shoot horses?

I still have a small cough - but it is a dry cough this morning.

when i cough while on scuba, my next inhale rate is tremendous and i over breath my reg.

All my gear is packed up and unpacking is going to piss me off even more.

why unpack?

As disappointing as it is to cancel a dive, it's better to be on shore wishing you were in the water than in the water wishing you were on shore! Good call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom