Bloody froth in the mouth ... symptom of ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelpout

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I am looking at a document that has "Coughing up bloody sputum" as a "Sign & Symptom of DCS". I was always taught, and I would also teach that it was "Bloody froth in the mouth " was AGE. I also know that "Coughing up bloody sputum" can also be a "Sign & Symptom of IPE". Need medical advice to sort out what I should be telling my Rescue students. Thanks in Advance.

Slight confusion of DCS and DCI in that document, unless you mis-read it.

Unless I've got it backwards, "DCI" (Decompression Illness) includes both AGE (Gas Embolus) and DCS (Bends). Your bloody sputum is indeed a sx of AGE (and thus DCI).
That would make it an understandable, but still erroneous document.

Often confused.

So I am looking at a document that has "Coughing up bloody sputum" as a "Sign & Symptom of DCS". I was always taught, and I would also teach that it was "Bloody froth in the mouth " was AGE. I also know that "Coughing up bloody sputum" can also be a "Sign & Symptom of IPE". Need medical advice to sort out what I should be telling my Rescue students. Thanks in Advance.
Does it matter? Either way, you give emergency oxygen if available and seek immediate medical treatment.

I defer to DAN.

It could be any of those. Differential diagnosis would depend on the dive profile and the diver's other symptoms. Pink frothy sputum after a rapid, panic ascent might suggest pulmonary barotrauma, especially with severe, sudden-onset neurological symptoms present. Pink frothy sputum during or after a dive, especially in cold water with heavy exercise, might indicate IPE. Pink frothy sputum after omitting decompression on a long, deep dive would be concerning for pulmonary DCS. This is probably TMI for rescue students as they will not be diagnosing in the field. The treatment would be the same for all of these: ABCs, high-flow O2, and immediate evacuation. They might also want to focus on gathering as much information as possible about the diver's profile and health history.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom