Did EVERYTHING wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnalevol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As I think about what I am about to write, I have to admit I am very embarrased. I did some very stupid things.

First, I am a newbie to diving. Just got certs in September. Went on a 10 day sailing/diving vacation to the BVI in December. Had never been on a dive except the pool/lake dives during certs. Since we had our own boat, my hubby and I decided we wanted to rent gear and dive whenever we wanted to without a dive master. Here is a summary of some of our dives, and the lessons I learned.

1. Diving the Wreck of the Rhone. Our boat was anchored fairly close to the dive site. So we decided to swim to it rather than dinghy over. Had no problems swimming to the dive site, had no problems on the dive. We did find ourselves at 80 feet at one point, which made us a tad nervous, but we closely watched our dive computers and were fine. Time to ascend. No problems. Start swimming back to our boat. Talk about a LONG swim!!! Plus we were swimming against a current. It took forever and we were exhausted when we finally got to the boat. Lesson learned: NEVER swim to dive site. Always dinghy as close as possible. Or make sure someone can come and pick you up when you are finished.
2. Diving Cistern Point. Checked our dive book. Nice shallow dive - max depth 40 ft. Our friends decided to snorkel while we dove. Took the dinghy to dive site. Cistern Point is a big rock that protrudes out of the water. So we descend and start swimming counter clockwise around the rock. We feel some current pulling us along, but don't pay too much attention. We figure once we come around the backside of the rock, the current will keep pushing us back toward our dinghy. WRONG. We make it a little over half way around the rock when it starts getting really shallow - lots of coral and rocks. We are dodging coral and rock when we get STOPPED by the current. We literally can't go foward and as we are kicking we are headed backwards. We struggle for a bit and decide we can't make it to the dinghy. We surface. We look over and see the beach. We decide we can swim to it and our party can come pick us up in the dinghy. Good idea until we almost reach land and again find ourselves in VERY shallow rocky, corally water. Now the waves start slamming us toward the beach. Every wave smashes us against huge rocks or into coral. The only option we now have it to let the waves smash us to shore. We make it shore and now have to hike with all of our gear, legs and hands pouring blood, to a smooth spot where the dinghy can pick us up. We hike over slippery rocks, panting, sweating, crying, bleeding, until the dinghy can pick us up. Lesson learned: ABORT mission if there is current or start dive upstream from current and let it carry you. NEVER swim towards a rocky shore as an option. Instead, wait in the water until friends come looking or another dinghy happens by. FIRE CORAL hurts!
3. Diving the nursery. Took a dinghy to dive site. No mooring balls, so we decided to tie the dinghy up on shore. Left it with a friend to watch. So, this is basically a shore dive. We gear up and start wading out into the water, but there are rocks everywhere and it's shallow. Hubby gets cut on coral. We finally get out where it is deep enough to swim and eventually descent. Had a great dive - saw turtles! Lesson Learned: Don't try a shore dive if it's not meant to be a shore dive. Jump off the dinghy in deep water and let friend take dinghy to shore. We were smart enough not to swim back to shore - we let our friend come and pick us up.

We had a total of 6 dives, and only 1 was very bad, 2 could have been better, and the others were great.

Other lessons learned: Shorties allow more freedom, but do not protect from rocks and coral. Dive Masters are your friends. Depth of dives is not nearly as important as currents. Diving is a blast!

Please don't blast me for my stupidity. However, if you wish to KINDLY offer advice for the future, feel free. Our next big trip is hopefully to the Sea of Cortez, Baja Mexico. I hope to get some more dive experience in before going.

dnalevo,

Ive been down on all the sites you listed. I was out in BVI last May. We chartered a big Cat (with crew) and spent 10 days diving. Had a great time, but i understand some of the problems you ran into. Cistern point (i think its spelled like that) is known for the current around the rocks. We dove with a DM who whos the area and advised us of what to look out for. In unknown waters, and especially when you are new to the sport, its not a great idea to head out on your own and try to make a dive vacation. Rather, hire a DM for a couple of days to teach you a few of the spots, and then maybe dive them alone? Better still use a DM the whole time you're there.

Also you said you had friends on the trip with you. Why was one of them not manning the tender when you dove the Rhone? Think how much easier it would have been for them to have zipped over and picked you up once you knew you had a long long swim ahead of you. Dont feel bad these kind of things happen to us all. Keep your head up, and in the game, and next time you will know...DM's are there for a reason!!!!

GL

Scuba-Jay

Scuba-Jay:
dnalevo,

Ive been down on all the sites you listed. I was out in BVI last May. We chartered a big Cat (with crew) and spent 10 days diving. Had a great time, but i understand some of the problems you ran into. Cistern point (i think its spelled like that) is known for the current around the rocks. We dove with a DM who whos the area and advised us of what to look out for. In unknown waters, and especially when you are new to the sport, its not a great idea to head out on your own and try to make a dive vacation. Rather, hire a DM for a couple of days to teach you a few of the spots, and then maybe dive them alone? Better still use a DM the whole time you're there.

Also you said you had friends on the trip with you. Why was one of them not manning the tender when you dove the Rhone? Think how much easier it would have been for them to have zipped over and picked you up once you knew you had a long long swim ahead of you. Dont feel bad these kind of things happen to us all. Keep your head up, and in the game, and next time you will know...DM's are there for a reason!!!!

GL

Scuba-Jay

You are absolutely right. We should have used a DM. We had purchased a really cool dive book that covered all the BVI dive site and we thought since we were only diving those listed as 'beginner' we would be fine. Now I realize that this book was basing most of it's ranking on depth, rather than other things such as current. As for why our friends didn't come pick us up - they were doing a resort dive class on another island so that they could dive with us later that day! So we were on our own.

Glad to hear that you came out okay, and still enthusiastic for the sport!

We did a couple of the dives you described when we were there. The Rhone is a great dive, but I was very glad we had somebody who knew the site with us, because the currents were fierce.

And even with our good DM, we had one long swim back to the boat, when we got blown off the upline on ascent and came up 150 feet or so downcurrent, so don't feel that you're alone!

There are a lot of things besides depth that determine how challenging a dive is -- visibility, ease of navigation, likelihood of currents, hazards like boat traffic or fishing line or nets. As gets said on this board over and over again, an inexperienced diver familiar with local conditions can often be better off than a very experienced diver with no knowledge of local conditions. You guys were inexperienced AND without knowledge of local conditions, so you had some real challenges.

Lessons learned, and at least you got some good dives in and nobody got hurt.

So long as you don't get hurt or discouraged and you learn from your mistakes, you'll turn into great divers.

I would never dive with no one on the boat. That was a very bad idea that could have cost you your lives! You are very lucky!

Consider getting additional training and experience to build on what you have learned - central Texas has lake diving with often poor visibility which can be very good for skills development - perhaps stay away from the Gulf of Mexico (Flower Gardens) until you have more experience.

Sea of Cortez is great - spend a day or more diving Cabo Pulmo. However, the quality of the dive operations and instruction/supervision can be variable. Many Sea of Cortez dives are drift dives, and I've seen DMs break up the team based on air consumption and send people to the surface the length of the dive as they hit 500 psi (or less).

You and your husband haven't made enough dives to work out team issues and scenarios for your next set of problems. Find a good instructor to work with you in Lake Travis or some place similar. Get in another dozen dives in lousy conditions with an emphasis on scenarios and team skills. Use this to pick up another couple C-Cards to justify the expense of diving with an instructor.

Then dive Mexico. I've seen a couple real Charlie Foxtrots in Cabo San Lucas. I wouldn't wish diving there on someone with your "current" experience.

crosing:
I would never dive with no one on the boat. That was a very bad idea that could have cost you your lives! You are very lucky!

Yep. In fact, I remember reading an account in Scuba Magazine, where two divers lost their lives in a similar incident.

Anyway, you survived and learned some valuable lessons, so things can only get better from here on out, right? :)

If I were planning on scuba diving around a large rock or island in an unfamiliar area, I would probably first snorkel the route just to check it out. The ocean and currents and waves and shallow rocks are much more forgiving to a snorkeler (with a full suit)who can scramble over rocks than someone who is burdened by a tank! I always like to do recon with a snorkel if I can.

I also try very hard to gain "local knowledge" when I'm in a new place from local divers. Being an inexperienced diver and working from your own private boat in an unfamiliar area is a recipe for problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom