Did anyone hear about the piranha-like fish in Gilboa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Did anyone hear about the pirannah-like fish in Gilboa? I heard that there was a fish caught there last weekend? There was talk that it was identifed as a pacu, and they are known to rip a guys testicles off! Someone had a pic either on this forum or somewhere else... Apparently, the can breed and survive in cold water- Yikes!

River monsters did an episode on them.

Ya you don't want to dive there without gloves...divers have been known to come out with 9 fingers instead of 10!

Never seen them, and was swarmed with fish on Saturday, got all my fingers... But now I do notice a chunk missing out of my heel of my boots... :)

I found an article where a cold snap in Florida with water temp.s in the 40's killed a big one. They're a tropical fish and wouldn't likely survive long in most of the U.S.

I've never heard of one actually nailing the family jewels, though the potential seems to be a concern. People dive in waters with big gar, bowfin, common snapping turtles and I'd think even a big large mouth bass could be painful in the right area (considering what bluegill can do with a nip). For that matter, if you don't stay off the bottom, a crawdad could get'cha...

Richard.

Just be glad the scrotum pulls the testicles up towards the warmth of the body when in cold water making them a more difficult target!

Did anyone hear about the pirannah-like fish in Gilboa? I heard that there was a fish caught there last weekend? There was talk that it was identifed as a pacu, and they are known to rip a guys testicles off! Someone had a pic either on this forum or somewhere else... Apparently, the can breed and survive in cold water- Yikes!

They posted a picture of a guy with his testicles ripped off or of the fish with the guy's testicles in its mouth? Either way, do not post it :vomit:. And as Bill said, thank the lord for the Turtle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom