Diaphram vs Piston regs.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong, wrong and wrong
The reasonyou would want a piston over a diaphram reg is very simple.

If you dive strictly COLD water you would coose a diaphram regulator because you don't want or need a high air flow. This will cause a problem.
If you dive in warm deep water you absolutely want a piston reg as the available air flow is exactly what is needed.
I/we don't dive typically 75 - 145ft. no colder than 70+ girlfriend uses a Scubapro MK 25/600, I use an Apeks ATX 200

Wrong, wrong and wrong

If you dive strictly COLD water you would coose a diaphram regulator because you don't want or need a high air flow. This will cause a problem.
If you dive in warm deep water you absolutely want a piston reg as the available air flow is exactly what is needed.
I/we don't dive typically 75 - 145ft. no colder than 70+ girlfriend uses a Scubapro MK 25/600, I use an Apeks ATX 200

very objective notes.
2 factors to decide: how deep & how cold.
for SP, they're known for piston-type, but for diaphragm; look for other brands like Apeks or Mares, the diaphragm is their specialty.

Wrong, wrong and wrong

WRONG...

I don't know where you get this but the pure performance advantage of the MK25 over the MK17 is never needed. It's just marketing.

It is true that a piston regulator can perform better then a diaphram. However if you look at the MK17 which delivers 170+ cfm (5000 litres per minute)... this is all you'll ever need.

You won't notice any performance difference between MK25 or MK17.

Wrong, wrong and wrong

Any quality diaphragm will provide tons of breathing gas at depth, way more than one person can use. The argument that you need a piston for deep diving to get more gas to you doesn't hold water. If that was the case there wouldn't have been so many very happy deep tech divers using Poseidon and Apeks.

I'm also curious why people who dive strictly cold water dont need high airflow. What about the tech divers in cold climates?

Any quality diaphragm will provide tons of breathing gas at depth, way more than one person can use. The argument that you need a piston for deep diving to get more gas to you doesn't hold water. If that was the case there wouldn't have been so many very happy deep tech divers using Poseidon and Apeks.

I'm also curious why people who dive strictly cold water dont need high airflow. What about the tech divers in cold climates?
I didn't get this either! I only use Poseidon or Apeks. I remember we had a talk about Zeagle as well. Like to try one of those new Oceanic regs when I get a chance (just curiosity...):crafty:

Wrong, wrong and wrong

The Apeks ATX 200 is a diaphragm reg, so what's your point.

The Apeks ATX 200 is a diaphragm reg, so what's your point.
Apeks TX 50.....?:D

pros and cons of each?

Both are very good,with a slight edge to diaphram in cold water.
most reg are going to be ok down to 45 degree water temp.
Piston has less moving parts,higher flow rates.
Both of my regs are diaphram type.
If you are going to be Diving in cold water i would go with diaphram.
Diaphram regs are sealed in the first stage,pistons are usally not.
Sherwood,atomic and i think genesis are sealed piston types that would be good for cold water diving.
There are alot of choices, so have fun looking and be safe.:D

Back
Top Bottom