DFW DIR shop???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDane

Reaction score
Hey Guys -
I'm looking for a DIR friendly shop in the DFW area, preferably one that incorperates principles into regualr OW training - any clues???

Thanks,
Big T

Hmm - thanks Tom,
Do you know if they sell Halcyon gear? that's a good indicator - sometimes -

Any experience with AKA divers in Arlington?

Thanks,
Big T

Try Alec over at Southern Scuba....

He is one of the better Tekkie shops in the area. And this is where Tom and I purchased our OMS IQ BC's.

Alec is also the regional (as in 6 state) rep for TDI/SDI

Southern Scuba
6900 South Freeway (across from the Miller Brewery Plant)
Fort Worth, TX 76134
Main Phone: (817) 568-1055

Ask him if my drysuit is in yet :D

Thanks TM,
do they have a web site - I'm doing research for a very important person down there...
I'm afraid that my experience so far with TDI shops does not lead me to think they are DIR friendly...
Maybe a plane ticket is cheaper???

Big T

This is the first I've have heard of AKA's existance, but then again, D/FW is a very big town and I've only been diving/paying attention to shops a little more than a year.

If you are looking for a DIR-ish instructor, I can recommend Ron Carlo, the fellow with whom I will be working the avanced TDI cirriculum with. He not only does instruction from Alec, but does classes on his own. So if there is a particular slant that is requested (such as inclusion of DIR stuff), then Ron should be able to accomodate.

I'll PM you his e-mail address....

Thanks Mike -
That is precisely what I'm looking for.
Big T

I hear you are coming up to Cal's place?

Hi WetDane:

Like TexasMike said, Southern Scuba has a "tech" interest and is a good source for things like bolt snaps. They're likely to be "DIR friendly" but I couldn't say that they're DIR. I don't know if they have a website. I'd give you their email address, but they didn't answer my last email from a week or so ago so I don't think there'd be much point in that. Just call 'em or stop by.

Lone Star Scuba (http://www.lonestarscuba.com/) recently became a Halcyon dealer. They have shops in both Dallas and Fort Worth. I doubt that they have much Halcyon gear in stock since they primarily seem to be a traditional "recreational" scuba shop, but they can likely get it for you. They're good folks and my shop of choice for my non-DIR diving.

Last time I was in the AKA Divers shop (http://www.akadivers.com/) was a few years ago. They had a more-or-less DIR rigged backplate and wings on display and they sell manifolds and such. At the time they seemed to have an interest in at least some aspects of DIR-like diving. You might stop by and see what they're up to now.

HTH,

Bill

Thanks Mike, I sent Ron a note.
Thanks Bill - I think this Ron guy is the answer from what I can tell and getting halcyon gear is not an issue for me...

BigT

Back
Top Bottom