Devils Throat TAKE LIGHT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TexasScuba53:
Thanks for all the feedback. Next time I need information on making hatchets or diving in rock quarries, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll trust the folks who have dove the dive in question or at least folks who've dove in Cozumel for advice.

I missed this post. I guess I was right :)

The problem with this analysis is when you post on a board, by default you are solicitng comments whether you like it or not. Don't post if you don't want to see a response that you may not like. I also don't see how posting sound advice is elitist. Sticking ones head in the sand is what is really asinine

Jarrett:
This board is great when people request info. People are generally very helpful and generous. The problem with is when the judgmental elitists come out of the wood work to browbeat people when help was unsolicited like in this case. I know it’s hard to believe, but they might not care what you think about their incident.

If he would have come here saying, "How can I do better next time?" some of these comments might make sense. But for people just to start coming in and judging his diving skills, the dive operations abilities, and making harsh comments about the event without knowing anything but a two paragraph story on an Internet forum is just asinine behavior.

DandyDon:
Mike it would help if you included dive numbers and Inst badge on your posts. I guess you have your reasons for not wanting to do so, but by not doing so - many won't know.

Most of the highlights are in my profile. I guess I edited out the PADI stuff. I'm not actively teaching anymore but my PADI number was MSDT 166562 and relative to this thread and overheads I was a cavern instructor and an ice diving instructor. My cave training was through NACD (3697) and my trimix training (117120) was with Greg Such who is TDI and sort of a DIR type.

I actually don't know how many dives I have anymore. I still use a log but not for counting.

The important thing though is that I have about a million quarry dives. LOL really though, and I think this is important, anyone who really wants to dive in overheads and avoid trouble really should go right to the source...the real authorities on the subject. The NACD, NSS-CDS, GUE and even IANTD and TDI all have web sites and there is tons of information available.

Jarrett, as has been observed before and elsewhere, when you post on a bulletin board you are inviting discussion. The discussion you get may not always be what you had in mind. I certainly have been the recipient of some very startling reactions to what were meant to be very innocent thread-starting posts!

The OP may well have done a lot more analysis and introspection about this incident than any of us know. But I think what sparked a lot of the reactions was that I, and others, read the original posts as saying that a dive a lot of people have issues with came so close to resulting in a fatality here that it's frightening, and the insights the OP got from the event didn't seem to match what some of us thought they should have been. So we chimed in. It's what happens on bulletin boards.

Jarrett:
I'm not talking about you TS&M, I don't think you meant any harm here, but you touched on an important point. There is nothing saying that this man and his wife did not do some sort of major post problem review on this incident. They just may not want to do it here on the Internet with all the arm chair experts chiming in.

This board is great when people request info. People are generally very helpful and generous. The problem with is when the judgmental elitists come out of the wood work to browbeat people when help was unsolicited like in this case. I know it’s hard to believe, but they might not care what you think about their incident.

If he would have come here saying, "How can I do better next time?" some of these comments might make sense. But for people just to start coming in and judging his diving skills, the dive operations abilities, and making harsh comments about the event without knowing anything but a two paragraph story on an Internet forum is just asinine behavior.

The OP came on here and gave advice. I see that advice as potentially dangerous to others who might read it so I spoke. Now, the way this works is if you or anyone else sees a problem with the content I offered, you are free to dispute it.

Of course lacking the grounds or ability to do that you can always try something else.

TSandM:
The OP may well have done a lot more analysis and introspection about this incident than any of us know. But I think what sparked a lot of the reactions was that I, and others, read the original posts as saying that a dive a lot of people have issues with came so close to resulting in a fatality here that it's frightening, and the insights the OP got from the event didn't seem to match what some of us thought they should have been. So we chimed in. It's what happens on bulletin boards.

In all the thread, you said it best when you said that it flabergasted you. Me too.

Mike, and others that are trained in overheads -I am not - this is not a cave dive, per se, one way into a room, cavern, and one way out. This dive is a series of overhead swim thrus, tunnels, if you will, with breaks. I don't see that a cave cert is really necessary for this dive, I have none and did the dive, although it would help, I'm sure. So, do you divers think this dive site should require overhead training, cert, and that its present OW & AOW status is too lax?

Not all caves are one way in, one way out.

I'm not saying that it necessarily qualifies as a cave dive, but it is an overhead environment. That means certain protocols should be followed. Just following a DM through with a group isn't proper protocol for an overhead.

pilot fish:
Mike, and others that are trained in overheads -I am not - this is not a cave dive, per se, one way into a room, cavern, and one way out. This dive is a series of overhead swim thrus, tunnels, if you will, with breaks. I don't see that a cave cert is really necessary for this dive, I have none and did the dive, although it would help, I'm sure. So, do you divers think this dive site should require overhead training, cert, and that its present OW & AOW status is too lax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom