Devils den tomorrow. 12/24/2015... Then

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soccerrefjason

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Booked a cabin at the devils den sight. Arrived early and was welcomed by the staff and cheerfully checked in. The cabins are nice enough. My only wish is an oven so I could have made garlic cheese bread to go with the spaghetti and meatballs I cooked. We spent the day puttering around town... Found a "pawn shop" in downtown Williston that had a good selection of books priced at 5 for $1. That's a deal in my eyes. I got a couple of Hiassen books. After that we puttered some more and ended up at Williston peanuts. I guess they are a wholesale purchaser of the peanuts grown near and far. My kids went nuts. Hahahha... I digress.
My son and I will be diving devils den tomorrow morning while my wife and other son snorkel around on top. Then on Christmas Day we are heading over to blue grotto. Where again, my son and I plan on diving while the wife and other son snorkel around on top... I'll post pics of the places afterward. I've never dove either of these places and have read that a person should if only once just to say you did it. I hope I have a blast. I probably will as diving with my son brings me great joy.. (Wish I could convince the wife of the joys of diving.)
share with me your fondest memories of either of these locations.

Devil's Den is a pretty fun dive. You can make a couple of dives there and still remain interested. Try diving clockwise on the first dive and counter clockwise on the second. You'll go through the same swim through and pass by the same structures but from the opposite direction, which will keep it interesting and provide a different perspective. Enjoy!

Last edited:
that's cool..keep us informed...thanks for sharing.

I dove the den back in the early 60s when we had to get permission from the farm owner to walk over to it. we had to drop lines down into the water to tie the tanks to. Then climb up onto a ledge and out the opening. And then pull the tanks up from the water. Even found what we think are mastodon teeth in the hole. I guess it's really changed since then.

Dove the den today. Had a blast. Went through two tanks each. We also found teeth but are not sure what they belong too. They were definitely fossils though. The tops or what was above the gumline was an agetized blue Color, and the part below the gum line was dark brown. There were several park cats that hung out with us during our downtime while we ate sandwiches and drank sodas. There were so few divers there today that the employees ended up going scuba diving as well. I have lots of pictures but they're all on my camera not on my phone.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom