Determining Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In perfectly gin clear water, like bottled water clear, how far could you see? I think 100' would be the max. I understand depth and light absorption play a role.

I find that there is a huge discrepancy in people's estimation of what the viz is on any given day. What would you say the end of the visibility is determined by? If the viz was 40', could you see a diver at 45'? I usually will estimate the viz to be the distance that I can see clearly. So if I estimate the viz to be 20', I usually can make out objects and divers at 30-35', but fuzzy.

I started thinking about this in the pool yesterday. One length is 25 yards (75 feet) and I could not make out the markings on the far side of the pool horizontally (With a mask on, of course). When I hear that the viz is 100', I find that hard to believe.

I am very used to diving limited viz inshore water, and I find that when others think the viz is awful, I think it is pretty good.

I am very interested in replies to this post because I too have problems determining how many feet viz is when it's really clear. When the viz sucks it's easy to figure out it's only 3-5 feet. But when I was in Cozumel earlier this month, I couldn't tell if it was 50 feet or 100 feet viz. Is there an easy way to judge this?

Pardner, I do much of my diving in Texas, where lakes and quarries BOAST if they have 20 foot vis. It's far more common to dive in places where one is fortunate to see their own fin tips. Therefore, "good vis" is truly a subjective term.
As a scientist, though, I can attest that there is indeed such a thing as 100+ foot visibility. Many times, in the Gulf of Mexico, I've witnessed conditions in which coral was clearly visible FROM THE BOAT in depths of 85 feet. Of course, the colors were muted and blue, but upon entering the water we could see divers descending down the slopes at over 100 feet.
Many times, the defining factor is not the clarity of the water, but the quality of light. For example, in the recent TV report about the diver lost at 800 feet, support divers several hundred feet above him could see his light, but not the diver. Had there been sufficient light, they would most likely have seen him, too. There simply was not enough light to see by, though. Nuclear reactors have some of the purest water in the world covering them. In that water (with lights on the bottom), you can easily see well over a hundred feet.

As for determining water clarity (and vis), we do that quite a bit on our science expeditions using a small disc divided in four sections of alternating black and white. Measuring the distance you can see the disc does a good job of determining turbidity. That's probably more involved than most of us want to get. I simply estimate vis by seeing how many body lengths (about 8 feet for a diver broadside in swimming trim) a person is away when I start to lose his outline. To me, that's the "effective" visibility.

Guba:
I simply estimate vis by seeing how (far) a person is away when I start to lose his outline. To me, that's the "effective" visibility.

Works for me.

Funny...on the Oregon coast we never have to ask ourselves that question (is it 50' or 100' vis?)....the answer is usually "2 to 3'". :)

Cheers,
Austin

Swampdogg:
In perfectly gin clear water, like bottled water clear, how far could you see? I think 100' would be the max. I understand depth and light absorption play a role.

I find that there is a huge discrepancy in people's estimation of what the viz is on any given day. What would you say the end of the visibility is determined by? If the viz was 40', could you see a diver at 45'? I usually will estimate the viz to be the distance that I can see clearly. So if I estimate the viz to be 20', I usually can make out objects and divers at 30-35', but fuzzy.

I started thinking about this in the pool yesterday. One length is 25 yards (75 feet) and I could not make out the markings on the far side of the pool horizontally (With a mask on, of course). When I hear that the viz is 100', I find that hard to believe.

I am very used to diving limited viz inshore water, and I find that when others think the viz is awful, I think it is pretty good.

Interesting question.

Before I forget, here's a link to some reports of Antarctic diving where the viz was estimated at 500 to 800 feet! There's an interesting picture on one of the pages that shows an ice wall and the ocean bottom where the ice sheet "grounded". Turns out the wall is about 120' tall and the little bright speck in the middle is the light of a diver.... perhaps hundreds of feet from the photographer!

http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/gallery/gallery3.html

I have a simple answer to how I define viz: it's the distance beyond which an object cannot be seen. That would be horizontally, unless otherwise specified.

For my practical purposes, the object doesn't have to be seen clearly, just recognizably.

For example, I might just barely make out a buddy's brightly colored fins, but not his dark drysuit from 30 feet away. I'd say the viz was about 30' at that depth.

Anyway, I like to actually measure the viz when it's real good, so I have my flag line marked every ten feet. Tied to an object, I can swim away until the object just disappears from view, then swim back until it reappears. That's the viz, in my book.

It can be very surprising. I once measured viz of 75' horizontally off a beach in Rockport, MA. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't measured it!

Vertical or diagonal viz is almost always going to be better than horizontal, so I only occasionally will make a mental note, such as that the surface waves could be seen from 80', for instance. It's still a nice recollection to have in a log book.

I remember wondering in Bonaire how good the viz was, but all I had to go on was vertical, since I didn't have a marked reel or flag line with me. Vertical one day was in excess of 130'.

Florida springs might be over 200', but I've only estimated.

It's amazing how quickly viz can change on the same dive, too, right? There might be pockets of clearer water and others that are pretty soupy, perhaps because currents drag some surf-zone water over there.

Then there are thermocline layers below which suspended particles might obscure viz.

Sorry for going on so long, but I once found an interesting layer that surprised me near the deep hole of a local lake.

Viz was about 30' at depths down to 60', then viz gradually dropped to about 5' until reaching 104' deep. Then there was a clearly defined layer that looked like thick smoke. I stuck my light into the smoke and it disappeared when at arm's length!

I ventured a few feet into that stuff and then decided I really didn't need to get to the 110' max depth of that lake after all! :D

Needless to say, I was very happy to get back to the 5' viz!

Dave C

It's always a rough guess, unless you are using something like a Secchi disk.

I tend to log a range for the viz -- the smaller number being where things start getting blurry, and the bigger number being where a diver and his bubbles are no longer visible. Usually about 2 to 1 ratio between these the way I estimate.

The best visibility I have ever seen was on a dive just after dawn at Molokini islet off of Maui. I splashed in, looked down, and saw the bottom with awesome clarity. 350' viz!!!!! http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191003&postcount=5

Charlie Allen

NetDoc told me a study had been done at Alexander Springs in Florida where the visibility was measured at 1000 feet. The only reason the limit was 1000 feet, the spring run turns a corner and they could no longer see the target to get the measurement. That's all I know, you would have to ask NetDoc for details.
Ber :lilbunny:

I agree that most divers have trouble estimating visibility. On the Oriskany last weekend we got reports of anywhere from 50 to 100 feet of visibility. From the top of the tower at about 65 feet I could not see the flight deck at 135 feet so vis was less than 70 feet, actually it seemed to be at about 50-60 feet as an estimate.

Here in Lake Lanier we get excited when vis is at 20 feet (we can just see our buddy at 20 feet).

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom