Details on Ginnie recovery 1/23/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

of important note to the lack of the HUD on the KISS units. I'm not aware of an analog HUD on the market anymore since Shearwater discontinued theirs. The only way to get any info on your face on those units are the NERDs

of important note to the lack of the HUD on the KISS units. I'm not aware of an analog HUD on the market anymore since Shearwater discontinued theirs. The only way to get any info on your face on those units are the NERDs
I run a Nerd but have been debating hardwiring one of Charlie’s new HUDs and putting it across other side as a redundant monitoring system. There are silt out instances that the Nerd could become not viewable whereas that HUD likely wouldn’t (have to confirm).

I run a Nerd but have been debating hardwiring one of Charlie’s new HUDs and putting it across other side as a redundant monitoring system. There are silt out instances that the Nerd could become not viewable whereas that HUD likely wouldn’t (have to confirm).

The NERD obstructs so much of the view its not enjoyable to dive in my opinion. The used unit I purchased came with one and I gave it a try but found I really did not like it at all.

The NERD obstructs so much of the view its not enjoyable to dive in my opinion. The used unit I purchased came with one and I gave it a try but found I really did not like it at all.

the nerd interests me but I’m concerned about this very thing.

I have never had a student diving with a NERD where it was not a considerable distraction. It’s hard to see around (no matter what anyone says, it’s just not possible to have that big of a chunk of plastic in your face and lose something in your field of vision), and it provides WAY too much information. Students get stuck staring at the thing instead of focusing on what is going on around them and using more subtle and immediate visual and tactile cues for what is happening around them.

a standard HUD does not have this effect, it’s easy to ignore until your brain notices a dramatic change (Color, intensity or frequency of flashes, etc.)

If the NERD is in your face too much, adjust it properly. It can be moved down and not right in your face. I dive with one on my KISS and on my O2ptima.

Getting off topic, so maybe the mods will split this thread off....

However i think it's very likely the NERD was not positioned correctly. I've seen many divers using the stock NERD mount have it literally in the center of their field of vision. A small percentage of divers aren't bothered by this, other just put up with it, and Shearwater will tout how a human's binocular vision can see past this.

However for the vast majority, that doesn't work. With my students and in my own personal NERD, it's mounted flush against the barrel of the DSV, so it is down and out of my primary field of view. I can still easily read it by glancing down. During normal diving, you're looking over the barrel of it, and your vision is unobstructed.

I made this video a while ago to help illustrate how I see it on my dives. I paid quite a bit of attention to the details to get the video as close as I could to how I actually see it.

That said, even with a low-profile mount, a NERD is still not for everyone. My girlfriend for example, just can't seem to see it in a way that works for her.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom