Details on Ginnie recovery 1/23/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my Kisskat doesn't have one and it doesn't give me a lot of warm fuzzies. Unfortunately Shearwater is obstinate and won't sell the 4-pin connected computers outside of the rebreather manufacturers which is why I haven't swapped the Divesoft out for a NERD yet. I won't do fischer cables.

I might not understand exactly what you are trying to do, but assuming you are talking about the 4-pin wetmate connector (which is what I use and I agree with you on Fischer connectors), can't you just go buy one of these:

https://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/Shearwater-NERD-2-4-Pin-Deco-Computer-p/revo-r424.htm

I'm not going to comment on the price, but I'm curious why you couldn't just buy one and plumb it in? Again, I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.

- brett

I might not understand exactly what you are trying to do, but assuming you are talking about the 4-pin wetmate connector (which is what I use and I agree with you on Fischer connectors), can't you just go buy one of these:

https://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/Shearwater-NERD-2-4-Pin-Deco-Computer-p/revo-r424.htm

I'm not going to comment on the price, but I'm curious why you couldn't just buy one and plumb it in? Again, I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.

- brett

because I refuse to support @Shearwater when they are restricting the sale of a vastly superior product to their dealer network. Sure I can go buy one from Fathom, KISS, or Revo, but they should allow it for sale to the general public. If they actually stand to provide the best products in the market, they should have abandoned the fischer cables years ago and shouldn't restrict the purchase of those products. It literally is the only reason I do not currently own any Shearwater products, I can't go buy the product I want because they refuse to sell it to any of their dealers.

@rddvet thanks for posting! Glad something came out in a reasonable timeframe. Here's to hoping we are able to actually learn something from this one once the computer is checked out. The one right now is use a bloody HUD...

It may come out that this was a medical. I certainly hope that's the case, at least for the family's sake. But the idea of diving a CCR without a HUD just sits really wrong with me. Regardless of what ends up being causal, that's worth discussing.

Every person involved gave something of themselves the last couple of days to this effort.
I'm sure that's very true. I'd hate to have been a recovery diver there. Sad work of true heroes and I hope that they all get the support they need and deserve.

It may come out that this was a medical. I certainly hope that's the case, at least for the family's sake. But the idea of diving a CCR without a HUD just sits really wrong with me. Regardless of what ends up being causal, that's worth discussing.
It might well be medical. Certainly not the ideal place to have a sudden medical catastrophe.

Or could by hypoxia. Hopefully they will be able to determine if there was any indications of cardiac, stroke, or other catastrophic event.

It might well be medical. Certainly not the ideal place to have a sudden medical catastrophe.
While anyone can have a medical issue (or CO2 or hypoxia or or or) the deceased was in his late 50s or early 60s which is a peak time for catastrophic out of hospital cardiac events. Younger people don't have the occlusions yet and older people have developed co-lateral flow.

@rddvet or others,,,,,,I know there are lots of variables, but given the diver's configuration & cave path, could you give a range of max runtime on the Sidewinder? { ie 2-3hrs}
Max runtime on a sidewinder in 70F water is at least 7 hours. It holds 6.5lbs of sorb (unless you have the very rare/custom "extended" canisters)

Why do you think it's any easier to lose a husband, father, brother, son, due to a medical event vs a diving related problem? Many medical events which are often survivable on land are fatal underwater.

The Kiss units (all of the current lineup) are the only ones I know of commonly (more than a one-off) being sold and dived without a HUD or NERD. Seems like ~20% are sold and dove with only a single wrist monitor via a fisher cable. Another big chunk only have a NERD.

While anyone can have a medical issue (or CO2 or hypoxia or or or) the deceased was in his late 50s or early 60s which is a peak time for catastrophic out of hospital cardiac events. Younger people don't have the occlusions yet and older people have developed co-lateral flow.

Max runtime on a sidewinder in 70F water is at least 7 hours. It holds 6.5lbs of sorb (unless you have the very rare/custom "extended" canisters)

Why do you think it's any easier to lose a husband, father, brother, son, due to a medical event vs a diving related problem? Many medical events which are often survivable on land are fatal underwater.

The Kiss units (all of the current lineup) are the only ones I know of commonly (more than a one-off) being sold and dived without a HUD or NERD. Seems like ~20% are sold and dove with only a single wrist monitor via a fisher cable. Another big chunk only have a NERD.

Not easier to lose them. But easier to come to terms with in some ways. Fewer what ifs than with an incomplete accident report compiled after the fact by people who weren't there. It's easier to rationalize it as events outside of anyone's control than to have to hear that they died because of mistakes they made.

And sometimes it doesn’t matter where you are, it’s just your time. Knew a guy who literally dropped dead at work, about 300 yards from the hospital ED. Wouldn’t have mattered if he’d collapsed in the trauma bay with a full team standing there, massive pulmonary embolism, not survivable.

And I think that is easier to accept than someone forgot to monitor their O2 levels or similar. But it’s never good.

And I think that is easier to accept than someone forgo to monitor their O2 levels or similar.

This ^^

Is actually probably collectively our most common form of (subtle) victim blaming here in A&I. Also known as "diver error" which we internalize as something other people do, not us.

When in reality we have all probably missed something or been distracted for just a wee bit too long. We survived or didnt recognize it as potentially fatal at the time if X & Y had occurred concurrently.

Folks, pardon the ignorance but....... what do the initials 'IU' stand for in the term IUCCR?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom