Destruction of the Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone concerned about the destruction and looting that is occuring in the Cenotes? I dove Dos Ojos in December (dove it 5 years before) and was amazed by how many structures was damaged and broken?

Is there any governmental organization on a local or national level involved in systematically protecting such historically valuable sites. If there is, they are failing....

Many caves formations are extremely delicate and fragile like coral reefs, and actually more so because they have no ability to regenerate.

The important thing is to keep control over your buoyancy (divers are not even required to show buoyancy ability) and not fan silt off the bottom. It is best to stay halfway between the ceiling and floor, swimming in a horizontal position.

Cenote divers should not touch walls, floors or ceilings of caves and keep away from the fragile formations....HELP!!!!

I have dove Dos Ojos a few times now and love that dive but I tend to agree with what your saying. I was there this past Feb. and the place was loaded with divers and snorklers. From what I could see other than a little silt from too many divers they were not touching anything that I could see. OTOH the snorklers were holding on to, pushing off and standing on everything in site. One guy was just beating the crap out of everything he came next to, I was tempted to pull him under. Just incredible how some people just don't care about such a beautiful place.

Last year we dove w/ Hidden Worlds Cenotes dive operator. The first dive was mandatory only at Bat Cave so they could observe our buoyancy skills. If they were satisfactory the operator referred us to dive Dos Ojos. If you wanted to dive Dreamgate which is an advanced dive due to the silting and extensive cenotes formations you must be referred by the DM from the previous dives. Out of 12 people my husband and I were only ones allowed to dive Dreamgate. The DM said it had been 3 months since he was able to refer anyone at that cenote dive. So I believe some dive operator do respect the cenotes. BTW Dreamgate was unbelievable!!!

I know the Mexican government monitors damage in the cenotes, but especially on the archeological sites. I would be willing to bet that the reason for the difference you saw between then and now, is the number newbie divers being taken on these trips. As you said, lack of bouyancy control is the biggest danger.

However, I think that there are divers that are still knocking off stalactites and mites for souveniers. There is no enforcement of skills required for cenotes. When I was diving Chac Mool last year, we were told to touch nothing. I think all of our group did a great job of staying off the ceiling and enjoying the cave.

Something needs to change. Some of the more advanced dives and in Coz and other areas require you to demo your skills prior to the dive. I think the same should be done for cenotes. Do I think it will work? No. Too much money to be lost down there by upping the skills for cavern.

Maybe we should dive the heck out of them now. Who knows how long it'll be till they are just no longer pristine. (and many are not already).

Last year we dove w/ Hidden Worlds Cenotes dive operator. The first dive was mandatory only at Bat Cave so they could observe our buoyancy skills. If they were satisfactory the operator referred us to dive Dos Ojos. If you wanted to dive Dreamgate which is an advanced dive due to the silting and extensive cenotes formations you must be referred by the DM from the previous dives. Out of 12 people my husband and I were only ones allowed to dive Dreamgate. The DM said it had been 3 months since he was able to refer anyone at that cenote dive. So I believe some dive operator do respect the cenotes. BTW Dreamgate was unbelievable!!!

Good to know there are some out there that are testing people, bubbles. I've not heard of Dreamgate. Better check up on it.

I think ultimately it will be up to us to educate our fellow divers cause the drive to collect the almighty dollar stands in the way of preservation.

My wife and I dove with Akumal Dive Center last month. They required an ocean checkout dive before they would guide us on a cenote dive. They made it clear that touching anything was not allowed and our group did a nice job of following the rules. But it was obvious that there is damage to the cenotes we dove. There were large numbers of divers and snorkelers on site as we exited. That said, they were still great dives for a new cenote diver. The local guides are the only hope of really protecting them from more damage. Mexico City won't get it done. The locals make a living from them and need to be more dilegent in protecting them.

Back
Top Bottom