Destin/Sandestin 6/20-6/23?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rugbydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

A mate of mine is getting hitched in Sandestin on the 24th of June (thus why I listed up to the 23rd... he'd understand me diving, but she certainly wouldn't.)

Was wondering if y'all could give me a few tips on where to dive (a cursory search of the forum lets me know that Scubatech is the shop to visit, and the jetties aren't a bad place to be, apparently), what the diving is like, and all those other things to expect.

If any dive bums want to head out on Wed/Thurs/Fri, I'm all about it. I've been diving for a few years, with 35 dives (no one told me Colorado was landlocked). Dove in Monterrey, Bermuda, Mexico and Key Largo, so have seen a few different kinds of dives.

BTW, what's the whole Sandestin / Destin thing? Are they right next door to each other or something?

Cheers,
RD

rugbydiver:
...If any dive bums want to head out on Wed/Thurs/Fri, I'm all about it. ...
BTW, what's the whole Sandestin / Destin thing? Are they right next door to each other or something?...
Tides are right at the jetties from about 07:00 to 08:30 on those days so I'd only be able to dive if I have off from work. My schedule doesn't go that far so I'll have to get closer to the time before I can commit.

I've heard that there was some disagreement over the building of the resort so it was built where it is and called Sandestin (without Destin). This could be just an urban legend. "Destin" is a term used for a stretch of beaches from the Destin bridge heading East to Sandestin. There is a City of Destin that stops just East the Midbay bridge road.

Sandestin/Destin are neighboring towns.

Destin jetties you'll want to hit at high tide and visibility can be as poor as 5' and as good as 60'+(been at 30-40' last weekend). Water temps in the upper 70s, maybe low 80s.

You also have a few springs within an hour of Destin. Vortex, Morrison, and Cypress are the major ones. Cypress isn't easily accessible, less you take a canoe/boat. Morrison is nice and clear when the water levels are low(and free). Vortex vis is good all the time, but has a $32 dive fee.

I really wouldn't call SanDestin a town, but it's developeed unofficially into that and that area is referred to by that name.

SanDestin is really a "planned community and resort complex". It's a gated controlled area that is on both the north and south sides of hwy 98. It features hotels (the Hilton), condos', condo rentals, houses, golf courses, convention center, shopping, marina, restaurants, etc. it's pretty huge. Something like almost 3,000 acres. Other commercial complexes have built up around it because commerce follows where the money is.

Destin is officially from the brdige to FWB to about east of the Mid Bay Bridge like Yoda said, but you really have a hard time telling where it stops beecause of all the commercial developement down there. it all runs together.

BTW... since you're friend is getting married down there at San Destin, my "step-sister-in-law" is the staff wedding event planner there. So I'm sure you'll run into her :)

Hey Mike -- if she's at the Hilton, then that's where we'll be. I'd tell her to look for the drunk rugby player, but there will be a few of us there that fit the description. Look for the rugby player who's got kelp in his teeth... that'll be me. :)

For everyone, back to diving -- is it just the jetties that are worth going to, or are there some good boat dives as well? What's the viz like further out, or is boat diving not worth it in this area?

Boats are good. ScubaTech has a great one. The viz has been 20' - 30' according to Mark at ST when I asked him today.

I did a boat dive out of Panama City. We dove a couple spots called "the spans". They are sections of bridge spans taken out and sunk. Interesting structures that attract a lot of fish. It had the feel of what I imagine wreck diving would be like. You are able to "enter" through sections of span, but without being confined. There are actual wrecks placed as artificial reefs, but I have yet to visit any of those.

photohikedive:
I did a boat dive out of Panama City. We dove a couple spots called "the spans". They are sections of bridge spans taken out and sunk. Interesting structures that attract a lot of fish. It had the feel of what I imagine wreck diving would be like. You are able to "enter" through sections of span, but without being confined. There are actual wrecks placed as artificial reefs, but I have yet to visit any of those.
That sounds like a lot of fun -- been on a few different wrecks (who would have thought Bermuda would have a bunch of wrecks there... I thought they all disappeared or turned into UFOs). I reckon having the wreck aspect of marine life + no confinement would be a blast.

rugbydiver:
Hey Mike -- if she's at the Hilton, then that's where we'll be. I'd tell her to look for the drunk rugby player, but there will be a few of us there that fit the description. Look for the rugby player who's got kelp in his teeth... that'll be me. :)

yep. She's at the SanDestin Hilton. Since that's her main job there, I'm betting she'll be at the wedding (at least in the "background").

For everyone, back to diving -- is it just the jetties that are worth going to, or are there some good boat dives as well? What's the viz like further out, or is boat diving not worth it in this area?

I think the Jetties are worth going to. It's one of the best shore dives I've done. Especially in these parts. Even more so when they want $80 bucks for a 4hour boat trip. Vis is usually good if you hit it at high tide. (you can check tide times online). To drive from SanDestin to either the jetties or the dive shops/boats in Destin allow for 30 minutes. maybe 45 in peak time. Traffic can be a ***** during the peak summer. (at best in "low traffic it'll take you 15 minutes)

You basically have two boat operations to choose from in Destin. Or "sorta two". Scubatech has an oil crew boat that they run. But they wimp out if the seas get over 3 feet. They cancel a lot of trips. When I was down there I scheduled to dive with them 2 days and they canceled one. The other shop is Emerald Coast Scuba. Their boat seems like it hardly ever goes past the jetties. (what that means it that they seem to cruise the 1/4 mile from the harbor to the jetty, throw anchor and divers get in the water. Oh.. yeah.. btw, this is to the same dive site that we all walk to.).

In Destin other popular dive sites are the Miss Louise Tug (60 feet of water) and the Bridge Rubble piles. There is the "main bridge rubble pile" and a few others. I saw a huge (100 lb) grouper on the main pile this past May. Rumor is that they were supposed to dump all the ruble in the same place, but that fishermen went out and kept moving the bouy around that what what the dump boat used as a reference. the result was the piles moved around a bit.

I did a boat dive out of Panama City. We dove a couple spots called "the spans". They are sections of bridge spans taken out and sunk..

Chances are that if you dive an "inshore" trip in Panama City that you'll dive on one of these spans. They are the steel structure and road bed of the old Hathway Bridge that ran over part of the bay. They took it out and sunk it for a reef. Bridge Span #14 I think is the nearest one to the inlet. It's a good dive but if you dive there often it'd get boring. Another nearby dive site to this one that the dive operators hit a lot (way too often) is the Black Bart. It's a 180 foot oil crew equipment boat that is sunk in about 80-90 feet of water. you can swim in it's holds and pilot house. It's even got a plastic skeleton in the pilot house with it's feet in concrete buckets. kinda funny. BTW... Panama City is about a 45-50 minure drive from San Destin, but it's all 3 lane highway and is pretty easy since there aren't many traffic congestions between them.

Average dive cost in Panama City or Destin will run you about $75-$80 for a 4 hour trip. (does not include gear, tank rentals or weights, which you can rent at the shop).

Other dives you might be interested in that are more "inland" are Vortex Springs and Morrison Springs. Both are about an hour north of the beach but are very interesting if you've never dove in a freshwater spring and it's "cavern". Vortex is $32 but includes an air fill. Morrison is free, but has no dive shop on site. (it's a state/county park).

Since we've really got your interest "peaked" now, You might want to buy a copy of Diving Guide to Underwater Florida by Ned Deloach. It's $13-$15 bucks and well worth it. It had a description of every wreck and dive site out there almost and is divided up in sections of the state. See http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3492177248489&isbn=1878348396 . Amazon.com has it also. Make sure to pick up I think the 11th edition and not the 10th. Price will be the same but he republishes it every 2-3 years with new sites, etc. The 11th edition has the big grouper on the cover. This book is well worth the purchase and you can use it for years for planning purposes of about any dive in Florida.

1878348396.jpg

Hope that helps some. Have fun.

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom