Destin Jetties Saturday 8/19/06 06:30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you aren't kidding it is out there! I am new to diving so is Morrison a good location for someone like myself who is just trying to gain experience and begin to log some dives? Years ago I went to Vortex (not to dive) and know that the water is awful chilly. Do you use a wetsuit when you dive at Morrisona Springs?

Sorry about all the questions...just trying to find all the places to dive around my home town...I axious to get wet as often as possible.

Thanks

photohikedive:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snort, grunt, gurgle, ew, what time is it? OH MY GOD, LOOK HOW EARLY IT IS!!!! I am going back to bed. I will be doing a dive at a civilized time, at 3 pm at morrison. Bil, you need help.

LOL... you and I would work out great schedule wise then... early morning dives... bah.... night dives at midnite... :D ... cool!

Dave

Follow-Up to previous message....Man, I just looked online at information on Morrison Springs and it looks awesome. I would love to dive there and have been right by it before (or close to it) and never knew it was there. How thick of a wetsuit do you guys where when diving Morrison? I am hunting gear right now and don't know what thickness of wetsuit is best suited for our dives here on the Panhandle. I know that diving the jetties and diving fresh water springs are two different things. Do most of you guys have multiple suits or do you just have one that is adequate for both environments?

as far as the wetsuit, that is up to personal tastes. I myself have a 7mm suit from when I was living in MA. I use it for the spring, and will use it in the ocean as temps fall. This time of year, I wear just my swimsuit for ocean diving. I might wear a skin on a boat dive, just to protect against jellyfish, and other skin hazzards.

YMMV, but... I own two suits, and don't necessary use either at times. :wink:

Current gulf temps are in the upper 80s shallow and not much colder at depth, I haven't been wearing any protection in the last few months. Jellyfish are becoming more prevelant though, so I will be wearing a skin again shortly for protection. Come late November, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, I wear a 3mm full suit and in late Dec, Jan, Feb, and early March, I may add a hoodvest to the mix. I wear the 3mm full suit in the springs year round(panhandle springs are 68F all year long) and the hoodvest if surface temps are in the 50sF or less.

Morrison is a great place to have fun in for new divers. It offers a little room for growth as well since it has a cavern(stay out till you are more comfortable - its a fairly safe cavern, but overhead environment none-the-less and should be left for when you get more comfortable). We dive it often, join us!

There are other very nice springs in the area as well :wink: Lots of beach dives around too, especially if you are willing to travel an hour or two east/west.

Ok, I kbeen reading this thread and just had to jump in. Several comments to you guys, and gals.

1st Bill we rock we can fight the monsoons and get out to the jetties at O'Dark early!

Now, then about the water temps and wetsuits. I must agree that is a personal preference. A few weeks ago at Morrison after I finally decided to brave it, I wore a
3mm vest/hood with my 3mm wetsuit. I got a little chilly but nothing bad, mostly my hands got cold even with my gloves on. Then there was the rainstorm and diving the jetties at the hmmm early hour. Anyway, there I wore my 1.5 mm dive skins and was quite comfortable. I think though that I would have been fine in a shorty there.

Actually, just starting out in Florida as a diver you can never go wrong with a 3mm and build from there as needed.

Last I was supposed to have been there this weekend but, work schedules did not allow. We are looking into the weekend of Sept. 15th, 16th and 17th and 18th (Fri-Mon) Maybe there will be a dive in that timeframe???

If that weekend does not work we will be there the Fri. 9/8 to Sun. 9/10. Not as much time and if it is that weekend I doubt I will have time for any diving.

Hope to see some SB friends soon!
Cindy

One of the things that bummed me out was that I was learning how to dive at the end of the summer and I would have to wait till the spring to really get some experience. Sounds like from what you are saying that you dive almost year around? Do most of the guys dive almost year around?

One more question if you will allow me. I know everyone is different but if you were like I am and about to buy your first wetsuit...what would your choice for best all around suit be taking in to account that I live in the FWB/Destin area? Skin, 3mil, 7mil?? Just looking for some suggestions from folks who dive around here.

Morrison is a great place to have fun in for new divers. It offers a little room for growth as well since it has a cavern(stay out till you are more comfortable - its a fairly safe cavern, but overhead environment none-the-less and should be left for when you get more comfortable). We dive it often, join us!

I really plan on joining all you guys as soon as I get my C-Card and equipment in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for all the information.

GLENFWB:
One of the things that bummed me out was that I was learning how to dive at the end of the summer and I would have to wait till the spring to really get some experience. Sounds like from what you are saying that you dive almost year around? Do most of the guys dive almost year around?

The jetty tides are at night so we usually migrate to the springs. Sometimes the springs are flooded and we get really cranky and dive the tannic water anyway :D. I guess we average a dive per month in the winter. Seems like nothing when you're used to doing a dive per week.

One more question if you will allow me. I know everyone is different but if you were like I am and about to buy your first wetsuit...what would your choice for best all around suit be taking in to account that I live in the FWB/Destin area? Skin, 3mil, 7mil?? Just looking for some suggestions from folks who dive around here.

Like seaangel says, you can't go wrong with a full 3 mm. It's pretty versatile and you can add layers to it.

GLENFWB:

I got my cert 9/19/99. In MASSACHUSETTS! I dove right through the winter in an old used farmer john wetsuit. Even did an ice dive that year. You have it easy here!

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually looked at a 3 mm suit today to check prices. Looks like that is what I will be getting. I want to be able to dive the Springs with some of you eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom