Destin Jetties Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard so much about the jetties at destin and really want to dive them at least a couple times this year. The problem is that I have never been there and I am not sure exactly were they are other than in Destin. I have google earth or could use mapquest to help locate. Is it on the right as you enter Destin over the bridge? any help on how to locate it and were to park would be great. Thanks in advance.

Also I would really apreciate if I could hook up with someone who is familiar with the area.

The jetty we dive is on the East side of the pass. You'll want to cross over from Santa Rosa Island to Destin and continue heading East for 4(? I think) redlights, and take a right at Gulf Shore Drive. There is a public beach access with a trail starting between the last beach house and the first condo near the dead-end of the road. SeaYoda has a great write-up in the FL Conch forum with directions and pictures.

excellent, you have been a great help.:D

wjeffries,

you'll also want to dive it at "high slack tide". This is the clearest water time and the least amount of current going through the pass. In peak summer months, get there EARLY to find a parking spot.

A dive flag is also required. There is a steel trough/box about half way through the dive area. Most people just tether their flag there. Not much sense pulling it out into the main channel anyway as the boats really don't respect the flags meaning (or the laws about it.) You just need the flag in case "Johnny Law" shows up and decides to write you a ticket.

The pack mule suggestion is a good one also.

Here is a Google Maps link, the jetties we dive are at the lower right of the pass. There is a ton of info already on SB if you do a search and a number of locals that will gladly show you around if they are free.

Skyjunky:
Bring a pack mule!

LOL, I have been the pack mule a few times.

I take it that the walk is considerably longer than the walk from the parking lot at Pensacola beach to the water.

1/4 mile from the trailhead to the jetty itself :D

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! but the walk is worth it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom