Destin Jetties dive report 8/5/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great report, looks like you guys had a great turnout despite the weather. ...
You missed a great dinner at KCH's too!

:d :d :d :d :d

The adventure started Friday night – We found the best rates at Comfort Inn in Niceville and a great dinner at Ruby Tuesday’s. Then off to bed around 10:30. We saw on the television at the restaurant a major weather system over Marianna but didn’t think much more of it because weather systems in this part of the country generally move from west to east. Along about one o’clock a thunder clap and instantaneous lightning flash made us almost jump out of bed. For the next thirty minutes or so we felt like that we were in an artillery barrage. And then the fire alarm went off. We lay there thinking that we probably should evacuate. Then we looked out the door at a virtual wall of water and decided against going out there. We just went back to bed, covered our heads, and thought great, because it will be blown over by the morning. But it wasn’t.

We met Sea Yoda and Puffer Fish at the parking lot and later Sea Angel arrived. We dressed under an umbrella and headed for the rocks. The rain had packed the sand nicely and the walk out was really rather pleasant. We wore 72 cubic foot HP steel tanks that gave us great buoyancy characteristics without being too heavy to tote.

The water was absolutely beautiful and the diving superb. We went around the end of the ell shape on the rock pile. A fishing boat sitting in the pass was filleting their catch and throwing the bones back in the water. Huge Blue Crabs were having a heyday feast on the bones. The barnacles crackling and the toad fish singing were the best concert I could ever imagine. Rock crabs, toadfish, small fishes, and blennies of every shape and form filled every crack between the rocks. The channel still has a large pile of sand rather than hard bottom. Thank goodness they haven’t dredged the bottom and left an ugly scar. We found several nice sand dollar skeletons.

On exit the sun had come out but the air still relatively cool. We walked back to the parking lot, everyone laughing and remembering the dive. The fresh water showers just made everything perfect.

We ended the morning with breakfast at the Golden Corral. What a feast? I remember thinking that the entire Biafran Army could eat for a week in here. Then it was off to Panama City for yet another adventure.

So glad you and Mrs. Seayoda could make it. It was a good time. I can't comment on the food as that would be a little big-headed of me. (I will say I think I like the substituting toast pecans for toast almonds in the ice cream dessert.) I'd be glad to host another get together again.

kchFLA:
So glad you and Mrs. Seayoda could make it. It was a good time. I can't comment on the food as that would be a little big-headed of me. (I will say I think I like the substituting toast pecans for toast almonds in the ice cream dessert.) I'd be glad to host another get together again.
The company and food were both excellent. Mrs. SeaYoda had a great time too. I like pecans better than almonds - whichever it was, it was goooooood!

I liked all the food, I never say no to food :D I also enjoyed watching PHD take an inpromptou beer shower, since I was mildly annoyed that he felt the need to dress more snazzily than I :evil: and I was highly amused that a bunch of divers devoted several hours to discussing various methods of killing squirrels :wink:

1967667WDestAug-Flounder001.jpg

1967668WDestAug-BlueCrab004.jpg

1967670WDestAug-Anemone001.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom