Destin Jetties dive report 8/5/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I woke up this morning at 5:30 am to booming thunder and the sound of rain. My first thought was that the dive for this morning will never happen, roll over. I decided to check our local weather station for radar info, we were on the back end of a storm headed out into the Gulf. I made up my mind that I would get ready and go, even if only to eat breakfast with whoever showed up. As I got in the car the rain had stopped on the North side of the bay - a good sign. Little traffic out at 6:30 on a rainy Saturday morning. I got to the parking area and it was still rainy and a few lightening bolts flashing. There was only one car along the waterlogged parking area. Pufferfish was in his car with his gear outside taking a bath. We decided to make an exploratory walk to the beach - we were pelted with rain and a little sand as the wind had picked up. There were a fleet of boats waiting inside the pass - a good sign. The water was a little choppy but a nice shade of blue - a good sign. We returned to the entrance and met Tom Smedley and buddy on the way. We met seaangel at the entrance. We voted to wait out the storm for an hour past high tide (HT = 07:13). SA had not brought her gear, fearing the worst. She went back to get the gear and TS needed to make a nature run. PF and I sat in the car and watched the changing weather. Everyone got back together and at about 07:50 the wind died down and the thunder and lightening had moved far enough away that we started to gear up in the rain. Here are the soggy pictures:

85jeeprain.jpg

85umbrella.jpg

The sun peeked out as we finished getting the gear ready - the rain was still falling.

85sun.jpg

We started the walk on the beach at about 08:00 - it stopped raining like in the movie Forrest Gump. The sand was pretty compacted and the air temp was not too warm so the walk was good. By the time we reached the water the sun was out and warming the air already. As we made final prep to dive, we saw a rainbow in the West.

85rainbow.jpg

As we descended, we were greeted by viz of around 30' with no June grass or Sargassum weed. The fish were abundant but less than the last few dives. Crabs were harder to spot as well. Current was flowing out toward the Gulf a little so it was kind of a light drift dive. TS and PF stayed by the point taking pictures:

85ts.jpg

85puff.jpg

SA and I headed out to the anchors:

85sa1.jpg

85saanch.jpg

Between the anchors I found my second dead shark - I gave it to SA as a present:

85sashrk.jpg

I witnessed a crab battle on the way to the second anchor:

85crabfgt.jpg

At the second anchor I took this pic, how many toadfish do you see?

85toads.jpg

While at the second anchor I gained a friend that followed us back to TS, buddy, and PF:

85shrkskr.jpg

We ended the dive watching fear on the faces of a newbie class. After a lazy float back to the entrance and the walk back to our cars to gear down, we went to Golden Coral :D (Corral) for breakfast. TS and buddy left us for Panama City and the rest of us went to ScubaTech for fills and such. We then parted ways after a fun day of diving.

hmmm, the remoras are becoming more common at the jetties? I have seen them there twice now. What are they riding in? That one looks bigger than the ones I had seen.

photohikedive:
hmmm, the remoras are becoming more common at the jetties? I have seen them there twice now. What are they riding in? That one looks bigger than the ones I had seen.
This guy was pretty big and seemed to want to go for a ride awful bad.

Cool report and I loved the pictures that went with it.

Good job. Everything out of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores was cancelled yesterday due to weather. Glad somebody got wet yesterday... below the surface

Enjoyed the report Yoda!

What's up with the sharks? Do you have a lot of soup lovers up there?

With all the fishing traffic going in and out of the pass, there is no telling what's up with the sharks. This year is the first time I've seen their remains, but it is strange that I've seen two.

Great report, looks like you guys had a great turnout despite the weather.

I thought about heading that way as my dive buddy bailed on me, but I wasn't in a huge hurry to leave out so early to make the meet-time. Seas were a bit rough out here, so I didn't push the effort to find another buddy to dive off the Miss Jellyfish with me - woulda been a rough ride and probably wouldn't have planed out with the seas.

Great report though, conditions seemed to have been good. Great remora shot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom