Destin Jetties dive report 7/15/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After an early morning dive at the Navarre Beach Pier with several other SBers, I headed back to Destin for a dive at the jetties. High tide was at 2:30ish and I was back in town by 11:00. I stopped by ScubaTech for air fills and an adjustment to my pony second stage. It had been very easy to freeflow with just a touch on the purge. During the dive at the pier I wanted to extend my time on the bottom so I switched to the pony when I was at about 500 lbs on my back gas. The pony freeflowed so I turned the valve down low and breathed a lot :D. Steve at ScubaTech tuned down the pony reg for me so I could use it on my dive at the Jetties - thanks Steve! I grabbed some lunch to kill a little time and was at the parking area by noon. It was crowded as usual so I found a spot to pull my Jedi parking maneuver. I was still past the entrance to the marina. I geared up having seen the beautiful blue water from the bridge and expecting great viz. I did the walk across the sand thing - very crowded as usual for summer at the beach. As I got in the water I saw a member of my local dive club, lucky dog had come by boat and not across the sand. As I stuck my head under water, I did not see the great viz I had expected. There was a fair amount of June grass, silty fog, and sargassum weed mixed together. Viz was about 20' most of the dive with several broccoli and snot storms bringing the viz down to 10' at times. The fish species of the day was the cigar minnow, they were everywhere. The current was not bad for being about two hours before high tide. I did get to do a lazy drift dive back from the anchor. Here are the pictures from the dive:

715two.jpg

715brocsnot.jpg

715minnow.jpg

715grun1.jpg

715trig.jpg

715trig2.jpg

715trig3.jpg

Great report SY, the trigger looks to have taken a liking to my bike...

Great shot of the gurnard, I missed at getting it with its 'wings' open.

Yeah, thats a nice pic. Isnt it a Searobin?

Searobins are different, they have smaller 'wings'. Earlier this year, the jetties were covered with them.

Flying Gurnard
Gunard2.jpg

SeaRobin
RobinFish.sized.jpg

Thanks MDB - Missed you guys being in the soup with me :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom