Destin Jetties dive report 6/1/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I snuck in a preview dive today. I got off from work early and, with a little schedule trading with my wife (I just love her!!!), I headed to the jetties around 1pm. Traffic was pretty busy but parking was not bad, I got a spot 4 cars up from the entrance. The sun was bright and hot. The pavement was scorching so I decided to wear my sandals while walking to the beach - I stow them between my BC and me while diving. The sand was even hot today as I walked across it. There were several boats with classes and snorkel groups out today, summer is here! The water felt great today, I got 82 degrees at 35'. Viz was about 35' with the now usual haze. I did the normal routine of heading out around the point to the anchor. The currents were very strange today. As I played by the anchor, a strong blast came in from the Gulf. Five minutes later I was 100' closer to the point and a rush of the same strength came from the bay. About five minutes after that, I was at the point and the current pushed strong from the Gulf again. In between the pushes it was fairly calm. There were all the same fish and crabs out today except for one new crab I found. He was really camouflaged. His right claw was always held close to his body and the left was outstretched. I got several pictures of him but with no strobe it was hard to get anything great. As I surfaced from the dive, a big tug pulled a long dredge pipe past the jetty and parked just North of the entrance walk. I guess they are packing things up since they can't dredge again until October due to the turtles they have been sucking up. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's dives. Here are some pics from today:

SeaYoda,

That is a shame-faced crab, genus Calappa, so called because its broad claws appear to be hiding the crab's face "in shame". That's cool, I haven't seen one of those before in Destin. I will be arriving in Destin on Sunday for what has become my annual Destin vacation. Can't wait, just hope the visibility will be decent on at least a few days. I am only a snorkeler, but maybe I will run into you guys sometime at the jetty.

82 degrees? I am definately going to be obnoxious with my swimwear then. Be warned guys. MDB doesn't think I will wear them, so of course I have to defy the challenge.

Dave C:
...That is a shame-faced crab, genus Calappa,...maybe I will run into you guys sometime at the jetty.
Thanks for the ID on the crab.

I may be diving Wednesday the 7th if I can get some chores done before then. I'd probably be there about 7ish am. I'll probably make a dive on Saturday the 10th as well. I'll be there about 8am. I'll be posting threads in the North Florida Trips forum if I get to go.

If you're looking for me, I'll be the only guy with a yellow pony strapped across his belly :D.

SeaYoda:
Thanks for the ID on the crab.

I may be diving Wednesday the 7th if I can get some chores done before then. I'd probably be there about 7ish am. I'll probably make a dive on Saturday the 10th as well. I'll be there about 8am. I'll be posting threads in the North Florida Trips forum if I get to go.

If you're looking for me, I'll be the only guy with a yellow pony strapped across his belly :D.

Dave C beat me to it, but I found this image

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/sertc/images/photo gallery/calappa flammea 100 dpi.jpg
On this page

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/sertc/gallery.htm

Flame box crab

Dave C:
SeaYoda,
I will look for you if I am there those days. I forgot to mention, did you see this guy's post on the Pensacola Divers Forum in which he says he saw a manatee at the Destin Jetty yesterday (May 31): http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/737693202/show/508633

have any of you guys ever seen a manatee down there? or anywhere in this part of FL?

I've heard people say they have seen them at the jetties but I guess it's like me and the squid I saw or the eagle rays I saw - a once in a long while occurance. That's why I keep going back - I find new things from time to time. It's never a boring dive for me!

SeaYoda:
I've heard people say they have seen them at the jetties but I guess it's like me and the squid I saw or the eagle rays I saw - a once in a long while occurance. That's why I keep going back - I find new things from time to time. It's never a boring dive for me!

I can promise you will see a couple odd creatures today

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom